Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1

im going to do some band photography in bars/venues with low lighting. im wondering if its worth going to f1.4 from f1.8, either is better than my 17-35 f2.8-3.5 minolta.

and any sites that have them used besides ebay? thanks
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:09 PM   #2

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
im going to do some band photography in bars/venues with low lighting. im wondering if its worth going to f1.4 from f1.8, either is better than my 17-35 f2.8-3.5 minolta.

and any sites that have them used besides ebay? thanks
F1.4 to 1.8 is certainly going to be better than F2.8.

Based on what I have read in various forums I would just go with the 50mm 1.7

The 1.4 is better but I'm not sure it will be that much better to justify the difference in price. Part of the difference in price is the fact that the 1.4 is muchrarer than the 1.7. If you are using it professionally, the price might be irrelevant and I suppose it might get you a few shots the 1.7 can't.Someone who actually has both might be able to give you more insight as to whether or not it is worth it.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:33 PM   #3

I have the new 50mm f1.7 too, but there were about 20% of the pictures I took yesterday out of focus, do you have this problem as well? I used auto focus.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:20 PM   #4

f1.4 is only 1/2 stop brighter than f1.7, I don't personally think that's worth the price difference between the lenses. (the f1.4 50mm is approx 2.5 times the price of the f1.7 50mm) It does depend on how often you'll be using it in low light , sometimes 1/2 stop would be nice. I'd personally keep the ~$100 difference and put it towards another lens.

I've seen those 50mm lenses (both varieties) at KEH, Adorama and B&H at times. They're a bit more expensive than Ebay but you do get a bit of extra security when buying from a dealer. I'd expect to pay just under $100 for a 50mm f1.7 and just over $200 for a f1.4
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:33 PM   #5

I have the 1.4, because I found a real deal on it used, but if I was buying now, I would get the 1.7. The 1.7 focuses twice as fast as the 1.4, and costs much less. j.d.katz on eBay isn't always the cheapest, but I have bought a lot from him, and from personal experience, he stands behind his gear when it turns out to be defective.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:07 PM   #6

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I have the new 50mm f1.7 too, but there were about 20% of the pictures I took yesterday out of focus, do you have this problem as well? I used auto focus.
Under what condtions is this happening?

Can you post some samples of your shots?

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:13 PM   #7

I've used the same Ebay seller on several occasions and find him honest, quick to ship and conservative on ratings. His prices are a bit higher but worth it IMO.

I would buy a 50mm f1.4 if I found an outstanding deal, but unless I found that I needed the extra aperture speed I wouldn't pay todays premium for one.

I think I'd buy a Sigma 28 or 30mm f1.8 before I bought another 50mm for 1/2 stop of light. (though that would cost quite a bit more than the 50mm f1.4
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I've used the same Ebay seller on several occasions and find him honest, quick to ship and conservative on ratings. His prices are a bit higher but worth it IMO.

I would buy a 50mm f1.4 if I found an outstanding deal, but unless I found that I needed the extra aperture speed I wouldn't pay todays premium for one.

I think I'd buy a Sigma 28 or 30mm f1.8 before I bought another 50mm for 1/2 stop of light. (though that would cost quite a bit more than the 50mm f1.4
I agree... I was going to suggest something wider like the Sigma.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:28 PM   #9

well i had two models of the 20mm sigma f1.8 from BH but both didnt work on my 5D or 5, so im stickin to minolta.

thanks for the tips, i thought the 1.4 was a lot more brighter than just a 1/2 stop!!!
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:26 PM   #10

The difference is less that 1/2 stop than the performance at f/1.7-f/2

I upgraded from the 50/1.7 to a Sony f/1.4 and like it a lot. By f/2.8 they are probably about the same, aside from coatings and ADI.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote