Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:19 PM   #21

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I'm dying to get the 18-250mm Tamron when it comes out. Despite the disadvantages of an all-in-one solution that is going to be the ultimate walk-around lens. That zoomwill be virtually glued to one of my bodies if I ever get my hands on one and virtually eliminate getting dust into the camera.
I am thinking 5D with the 18-250, but who knows? I definately am waiting until the price drops a bit.
I'm gonna wait on the final verdict of picture quality and for the price to drop. I don't expect the qualityto be any less or much different than the 28-300mm. Maybe it will be better than mine since I have the bargain non-DI version.

Yeah, a 5D with that lens would make a perfect all around fun camera. I know some might say, why get a DSLR if the intent is never or to rarelychange lenses, but it's worth it because of the large sensor. Of course that doesn't mean I'll never change lenses, but it will reduce the amount of times I have to clean the sensor if I can minimize lens swaps. Of course this theory works bestif you have more than one body.

It will benice tojust be able to grab a readyto go all purpose DSLR. Kind of like an ultrazoom P&S but with better results and more capabilities.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:55 AM   #22

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
But really my "lens addiction" has come to an end.

Rainer

Sure....... we believe you. :homey:
Well, let's take the first step: My name is Rainer, and I am a lens addict....lol.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:54 AM   #23

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I don't have anything against that 24-85 Minolta zoom, it looks to be a nice lens. It may even suit me better than the one I bought last night, but I wasn't going to pass up that lens for under $150 shipped. The new Tokina 'super value' (e.g. plastic) version is selling for $100 more and is not nearly as well reviewed. I may even break down and post a couple of shots from it. ( It should arrive Friday)

The range of the Minolta 24-85 is a better range, but the tradeoff was brightness. I still have a 18-50 lens that starts at f3.5 which has disappointed me in several low ambient light situations. It's a Sigma though, and Sigma has let me down the last 3 times ( 18-50 f3.5-5.6 DC, 28-105 f 3.8-5.6 ASP IF, Super DG Ef500 flash). Of the 3, the 18-50 is the most impressive, which isn't saying much.

It could be the answer doesn't even lie in one standard zoom, but in 2 or 3. This would be ironic since zooms are the 'answer' to carrying around half a dozen primes. I bet my camera bag is heavier now than it ever was before I started accepting zooms. lol.

There is a 24-85mm on EBay for 125 BIN in case you need a fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-24-85mm-...em190060682562

Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:57 AM   #24

rduve wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
But really my "lens addiction" has come to an end.

Rainer

Sure....... we believe you. :homey:
Well, let's take the first step: My name is Rainer, and I am a lens addict....lol.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rainer
Rainer,

I know where you can get acouple of relatively inexpensive junk lenses if you have are having trouble coping.

:whack:
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:12 AM   #25
Administrator

I'm still looking for a single lens solution.

I'd like to have a 10-1000mm f/1 (although, I'd settle for f/1.2) that weighs in at 240 grams, is only 3 inches long with internal focus, and uses 49mm filter threads (although, I'd settle for 52 or 55mm).

Surely, there is some kind of new material they could use to get around the size of the glass needed for a larger aperture opening, right? As long as the "effective" aperture was equivalent to f/1 or f/1.2, with the same DOF (when desired), the actual iris size wouldn't matter to me. Better yet, DOF should be selectable (so I could still use it at f/1 and get everything in focus if desired, or use it with a shallow DOF).

It should have super optical quality, even wide open, with ultra smooth bokeh, no CA, and no distinquishable contrast loss from flare in harsh lighting. Despite it's light weight, build quality should be outstanding thanks to breakthroughs in materials.

Fast and accurate AF would also be a must have (and they should go ahead and throw in 1:1 Macro ability at all focal lengths while they're at it).

I'd also like to have tilt/shft, and it should list for $299 (before discounts). Weather proofing, along with a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty should also be included.

I've been watching the lens announcements for it. LOL

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:36 AM   #26

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm still looking for a single lens solution.

I'd like to have a 10-1000mm f/1 (although, I'd settle for f/1.2) that weighs in at 240 grams, is only 3 inches long with internal focus, and uses 49mm filter threads (although, I'd settle for 52 or 55mm).

Surely, there is some kind of new material they could use to get around the size of the glass needed for a larger aperture opening, right? As long as the "effective" aperture was equivalent to f/1 or f/1.2, with the same DOF (when desired), the actual iris size wouldn't matter to me. Better yet, DOF should be selectable (so I could still use it at f/1 and get everything in focus if desired, or use it with a shallow DOF).

It should have super optical quality, even wide open, with ultra smooth bokeh, no CA, and no distinquishable contrast loss from flare in harsh lighting. Despite it's light weight, build quality should be outstanding thanks to breakthroughs in materials.

Fast and accurate AF would also be a must have (and they should go ahead and throw in 1:1 Macro ability at all focal lengths while they're at it).

I'd also like to have tilt/shft, and it should list for $299 (before discounts). Weather proofing, along with a lifetime "no questions asked" warranty should also be included.

I've been watching the lens announcements for it. LOL
Jim, you left something out:

It should come with made a similiar concept to an adaptall mount so that it is fully compatible between systems.It should also be equipped with a built in GPS locator device in the event it gets lost or stolen.

Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:46 AM   #27

Heres a used Tamron 28-300mm with a Tiffen 72MM filteron EBay. 115 starting bid, 145 Buy it Now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-AF-28-300...em320059633381
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:27 PM   #28

Ok, the Tokina lens arrived a couple hours ago. I'm pretty disappointed with it, because all it came with is 2 polarizing filters, a leather hardcase, the original caps, hood, and in the original box with all the paperwork. I was really hoping for more. :lol:

On the serious side, it's quite heavy. 72mm filter threads, not too bad. Seems to focus pretty quick, I'll try to post a few shots later- good or bad. Thezoom ring isn't super smooth, it seems to bind a bit at the 28mm end. It's not too bad but worth mentioning. Focus ring is good though, not too loose or tight.

Jim, if you find that lens- PM me. I'm all over it. Especially if it comes with a 2x converter....

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:42 PM   #29
Administrator

I'm still waiting on the official announcements.

But, I heard that the prototype lens is a bit soft at f/1.2, and you need to stop it down to f/1.4 to get sharp images from it at anything over 700mm.

I really wouldn't need the long end. But, as long as I'm paying that much for one ($299 list), I'd rather have one usable at all focal lengths without needing to stop down the aperture any.

Rumour has it that there's some barrel distortion (around 1 or 2 percent) at 10mm, too. I'm not sure I'd want to live with that. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:26 PM   #30

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm still waiting on the official announcements.

But, I heard that the prototype lens is a bit soft at f/1.2, and you need to stop it down to f/1.4 to get sharp images from it at anything over 700mm.

I really wouldn't need the long end. But, as long as I'm paying that much for one ($299 list), I'd rather have one usable at all focal lengths without needing to stop down the aperture any.

Rumour has it that there's some barrel distortion (around 1 or 2 percent) at 10mm, too. I'm not sure I'd want to live with that. :-)
You can always use the long end for sighting ghosts from a distance but you do know their imagescan't be caputured on digital sensors due to the trans-flux capacitance that ghosts are known emit.