Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:54 PM   #31
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
You can always use the long end for sighting ghosts from a distance but you do know their imagescan't be caputured on digital sensors due to the trans-flux capacitance that ghosts are known emit.
It may be the lens design versus the sensor causing the issue with capturing ghosts.

I remember reading that newer coatings designed for lenses used on Digital Cameras are designed to reduce "ghosting". ;-)

Look at some of Sigma's lens' descriptions and you'll see this feature discussed:

Quote:
Sigma's super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting, and helps create a natural color balance.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=5

So, if you want to capture the ghosts, another brand without the newer lens coatings may be a better way to go.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:13 PM   #32

JimC wrote:
Quote:

But, I heard that the prototype lens is a bit soft at f/1.2, and you need to stop it down to f/1.4 to get sharp images from it at anything over 700mm.

I really wouldn't need the long end. But, as long as I'm paying that much for one ($299 list), I'd rather have one usable at all focal lengths without needing to stop down the aperture any.

Rumour has it that there's some barrel distortion (around 1 or 2 percent) at 10mm, too. I'm not sure I'd want to live with that. :-)
That's really disappointing, you'd think those bozos would get their acts together, or leave the optical business.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:03 PM   #33

I'd think that new Fuji with the infra-red and ultraviolet imaging would be a good way to go for capturing ghosts. They can't hide from every spectrum and luckily that lens mounts to any camera.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:39 AM   #34

28-70 2.8 SIGMA WORKS FOR ME:|
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:41 AM   #35

I'm still looking for a single lens solution.

I'd like to have a 10-1000mm f/1 (although, I'd settle for f/1.2) that weighs in at 240 grams, is only 3 inches long with internal focus, and uses 49mm filter threads (although, I'd settle for 52 or 55mm).

I JUST SOLD THE LAST ONE..SORRY
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:26 PM   #36

Well, I've had the Tokina lens a few days, but the bleak weather here has left me uninspired as far as taking shots with it.Such is Michigan in early winter- brown and gray.

I've done a few indoortests against the 50mm f1.7 prime, where it is clearly inferior at 50mm f2.8. By 50mm f5.6 I find it hard to differentiate between the 2 lenses though, which is nice. Plus, it's good to have the f2.8 when you are willing to accept a bit less sharpness to get the shot. I've never had such a bright short zoom and since I now have kids in school (plays, musicals, graduations, etc) a short bright zoom is a nice addition. I must also keep in mind that my comparisons are made at huge sizes, nowhere near the sizes most of my prints are made at (smaller than 8x10).

I can post Christmas tree examples if anyone wants, otherwise I'll wait till I find something worth posting before I show comparison shots.

I like this lens but haven't used it enough to say whether I'll keep it or sell it for a new lens. The most attractive new lens is definately the Carl Zeiss 16-80 and I will likely wait until that lens is released before buying another short zoom ( unless I see one of those 24-85 Minolta f3.5-4.5 lenses that Jim brags up)
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:08 PM   #37

There are several on EBay. Here is one with a Tiffen filter that you can get into bidding war over or buy it now for 125.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-24-85mm-...QQcmdZViewItem
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:44 PM   #38

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
There are several on EBay. Here is one with a Tiffen filter that you can get into bidding war over or buy it now for 125.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-24-85mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

LOL, my wife just loves you guys! I guess I should have worded my post better. I'm not really looking for another short zoom, but if I happen across one in good shape I may still buy it. (much to Mrs. Merc's dismay...)
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:16 AM   #39

On Adorama's purchasing Dept.,sending in the lenses wasn't worth the effort. I sent in a dozen lenses, and the buyer offered me $100. Their fair market value should be between $500 and $600, I can easily get that from them on Ebay. To add insult to injury, the buyer told me that Maxxum lenses are obsolete because Minolta is ' out of business'. Nevermind that Sony can't manufacturer A100's fast enough to meet demand. Ah well, I just thanked him and asked politely to have them returned to me. I will Ebay them or perhaps give KEH a crack. I just thought I'd save anyone else the trouble of packing up your gear to send in, it's not really worth the time. (and I do understand that they want to make a profit, but I don't think that they need to make 500%)
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:24 AM   #40

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
On Adorama's purchasing Dept.,sending in the lenses wasn't worth the effort. I sent in a dozen lenses, and the buyer offered me $100. Their fair market value should be between $500 and $600, I can easily get that from them on Ebay. To add insult to injury, the buyer told me that Maxxum lenses are obsolete because Minolta is ' out of business'. Nevermind that Sony can't manufacturer A100's fast enough to meet demand. Ah well, I just thanked him and asked politely to have them returned to me. I will Ebay them or perhaps give KEH a crack. I just thought I'd save anyone else the trouble of packing up your gear to send in, it's not really worth the time. (and I do understand that they want to make a profit, but I don't think that they need to make 500%)
I think you will due better with KEH, but EBay will still probably get you the most.

KEH offered me 300 for my KM 5D body only no accessories and I told thatthe focus screen had a minor scuff. Of course that was subject to inspection. Even though that wasn't a bad offer I know I can get more on EBay.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote