Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:03 PM   #51

I just thought I'd update the Adorama- lens situation, since there are developments...

While I was away this week, one lens was returned. (of 10+ 1 body) I don't know what the deal is, but I'll be on the phone with them on Tuesday finding out. So far they're doing a pretty poor job of customer service as far as I am concerned. I am lucky that the lens that was returned is a 50mm f1.7 (the only lens their buyer showed any real interest in, I was worried that one wasn't going to make it back) I sure am glad that I made up a packing list with serial numbers now! It's my own little episode of as the world turns....(or for some strange reason they're sending multiple packages over2 weeks time)I'll update this thread as things unfold.

On the standard zoomlens, I still haven't had much call to use that new Tokina (though I should in the next 2-3 days indoors at Christmas).
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:40 PM   #52

I've got the KM 28-75 f/2.8 and its what lives on the front of my 7D. Excellent lense.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:01 PM   #53

meanstreak,

the difference between f2 and f2.8 is a factor of two

the 'doubling' scale is:

f1.1 - 1.4 - 2.0 - 2.8 - 4.0 - 5.6 - 8.0 - 11.0 - 16.0 - 22.0 - 32.0 - etc

so, a prime lens marked F1.7 is about 1/2 stop faster than a 2.0

see:

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:20 PM   #54

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak,

the difference between f2 and f2.8 is a factor of two

the 'doubling' scale is:

f1.1 - 1.4 - 2.0 - 2.8 - 4.0 - 5.6 - 8.0 - 11.0 - 16.0 - 22.0 - 32.0 - etc

so, a prime lens marked F1.7 is about 1/2 stop faster than a 2.0

see:

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

I always had trouble with that "new math" even when I was a kid
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:19 PM   #55

Just an update on the Adorama purchasing dept. and their [lack of] professionalism. It's been about a month since I sent in my lenses and I still don't have all of them back. I've been promised them back on several occasions, but 3 items (2 lenses and one lens hood) are still at Adorama. I haven't been treated rude, but I have the feeling that they're not too happy that I didn't sell them all my lenses for $100 and that it factors into the customer service I've recieved. I have been a bit remiss in my normally dogged approach to such things as I've relocated and am living out of a 9'x11' room while I shop for a home. But still, 5 emails and 11 phone calls shouldn't be an inadequate effort to have my equipment returned to me. I am so glad that I made and sent in an itemized packing list with serial numbers. I can't overstate how necessary that has become.

And I thought that it'd just be so much simpler to send them in to Adorama as opposed to Ebaying them.......
Old Jan 17, 2007, 1:13 PM   #56

I can't believe they are still holding your lens hostage. I think I would be getting the Better Business Bureau involved and also let them know that you will be contacting an attorney! Good Grief this is getting stupid!
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:48 AM   #57
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Just an update on the Adorama purchasing dept....
I just sent an e-mail to Jerry G. (a Supervisor at Adorama) about this issue and pointed him to the posts in this thread.

I've seen forum threads elsewhere where he got involved with issues regarding Adorama in the past. I've also noticed that Jerry somtimes responds to complaints when negative feedback is given by customers on some of the store ratings sites like http://www.resellerratings.com

So, hopefully, he'll see this thread and try to make it right.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:52 PM   #58

Jim,

I appreciate that. I'm not looking for anything except to get my stuff back. An error is excuseable, but not answering emails or returning telephone calls isn't. I just don't see any effort from Adorama's end to complete the transaction.

I got your PM, I'll get you the info in a bit- I'm just in for a sec right now.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:26 PM   #59

New update-

I sent in the info to Jerry, and he replied promptly. I don't have an answer yet, but I do have at least some communication, which is reassuring. I didn't think it was quite time to involve the BBB or Atty Gen, because I haven't really had any communication from Adorama and part of that was on me while I was moving.Resellerratings would probably be a better choice, though I am loathe to punish Adorama past the vote of my own wallet. (and I suppose the wallets of some forum readers ) They seem to have done good by a pretty large amount of forum readers here and over at Dyxum. I only posted my rant here because I did start this thread with acknowledgement that I was sending in those lenses in consideration of buying a new 'standard' zoom. If Jerry can get my stuff back to me within a couple weeks, I'll be off my rant.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:17 PM   #60

EEK POWERLINES....DON'T SEE THEM MUCH ANYMORE...LOL
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote