Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:27 AM   #11

Ok, I did get a response..........

Thanks for your email. Please accept our apologies for the confusion. The item is for KM 5d/7d, not for Nikon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Lie Li
Virtual Village

I think that any non-OEM will likely be a bit of a compromise- especially in fit. But I also think you're in for a long wait if you want an OEM part. A local store may be the place to try, their low volume would lend itself to still carrying obsolete parts.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:56 AM   #12

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I think that any non-OEM will likely be a bit of a compromise- especially in fit. But I also think you're in for a long wait if you want an OEM part. A local store may be the place to try, their low volume would lend itself to still carrying obsolete parts.
Most of the local stores these days don't carry parts since they don't do service. I can really live with the problem, but I will make one more go of cleaning it a little better.

I actually contacted Precision and they flat out told me that they only repair. They told me I could send it in for their flat rate repair. 281.00 dollars and they only charge more if repairs require an excessive amount of parts. 281.00replace a focusing screen?... LOL, I don't think so, especially when that would be more than what I paid for the camera and lens. They really ought to consider restructuring their service fees. They also let me know that cleaning something as simple as a mirror can void the warranty.

I wonder how they feel about cleaning your own sensor. LOL
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 8:16 PM   #13

A focus screen for $281? Totally worth it!!

If there's a local dealer that used to deal with Minolta or KM, you may still be able to find an OEM screen. It may even be on clearance. A focus screen though isn't neccessarily a servce part, many photographers change the original (AF) one to one that makes manual focusing easier. I've never done that, as I've been using manual focus bodies for so long that I just took one of those if I wanted manual focus. (This also gave me another ISO speed option, should I want it.)

I may or may not yet purchase an Alpha. I'd really like to see what Sony comes up with next, and honestly a roadmap to pro-level DSLR's would be a reassuring thing. The level of the glass Sony is manufacturing is helping me wait, I doubt that they'd be making such high dollar glass if they weren't going to put out some high dollar bodies. I probably won't buy another KM 7d if mine breaks and is beyond repair. I think I'd just buy a Fuji body, and continue to thumb my nose at Canon and Nikon.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote