Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:36 AM   #1

I noticedwhat looked like a spec of dust through my viewfinder and thought it might be on the mirror or on the lens over the focusing screen. (not sure what that's that's called). I tried cleaning both but mad matters worse since I ended up with streaks or scuffs I can'tget rid of. I actually ended getting the dust off andit was imbeded between the focus screen and the lens over the screen. The only troble is when I look atbright scene theI can see marks through the viewfinder. It doesn't affect the image but I would like tocorrect it. Anyone know where I can get a focusing screen and the lens that goes over it? I guess I should have left well enough alone, but at least I now know how to replace a focusing screen.

I'm actually wondering if there is a better screen availble for the 5D which would help with manualfocusing, but really concerned that I might not be able to get one at all.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:18 AM   #2

There is one available on Ebay for $72 plus shipping. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270062628201

It's not the original, and is designed for manual focus. I've never used one, but here is a link to an article about this one.... http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/H...reen/gubbe.asp

It looks like it's made for more than one type of DSLR, so it may need customization to be installed. I'll keep my eyes out, but this is the only one I remember seeing while rummaging around the web.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
There is one available on Ebay for $72 plus shipping. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270062628201

It's not the original, and is designed for manual focus. I've never used one, but here is a link to an article about this one.... http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/H...reen/gubbe.asp

It looks like it's made for more than one type of DSLR, so it may need customization to be installed. I'll keep my eyes out, but this is the only one I remember seeing while rummaging around the web.
That looks like it is designed for a Canon.

Do you know if the focusing screen consists of two lenses? One lens has the autofocus marks and the lens over it is a matte finnish. The one with the matte finnish is probbaly the one that I have trouble with. I'm not sure which one is actually called the focusing screen or both.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

I've not had mine apart, so I am not sure which one it is.

The one listed on Ebay seems to me to be one that the seller custom cuts for pretty much any SLR, I found the link to that auction on Dyxum.com (a Minolta SLR dedicated site) and the auction does say that it's also for a KM 5d or 7d, I assume you just note what you want upon checkout.

I might just ask for the raw screen if I was buying, then I could cut it myself to the proper dimensions and include the alignment pins in the cut. It can't be that hard to cut, probably a rotary tool would do nicely.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:12 AM   #5

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I've not had mine apart, so I am not sure which one it is.

The one listed on Ebay seems to me to be one that the seller custom cuts for pretty much any SLR, I found the link to that auction on Dyxum.com (a Minolta SLR dedicated site) and the auction does say that it's also for a KM 5d or 7d, I assume you just note what you want upon checkout.

I might just ask for the raw screen if I was buying, then I could cut it myself to the proper dimensions and include the alignment pins in the cut. It can't be that hard to cut, probably a rotary tool would do nicely.
I found a much cheaper one, slighty different. The focus screen is considered the top matte screen from what I have gathered and not the screen with the AF marks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Split-Image-Focu...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:05 PM   #6

I saw that one this morning, but it also lists its compatibility with Nikon SLR's in the item description though the heading clearly says km 5d/7d. I put in a question to the seller to make sure it's actually sized for KM DSLR's and am still awaiting a response. I'll post again when I get a response, but I suspect they'll fit almost any SLR (with a pentaprism)
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:22 AM   #7

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I saw that one this morning, but it also lists its compatibility with Nikon SLR's in the item description though the heading clearly says km 5d/7d. I put in a question to the seller to make sure it's actually sized for KM DSLR's and am still awaiting a response. I'll post again when I get a response, but I suspect they'll fit almost any SLR (with a pentaprism)
I asked if it would fit a Maxxum 5D or 7D. The response I got is quite comical.

[line]

Thank you for your message and your interest, but I am sorry to tell you that this item is specially made for Minolta.

I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help in this occasion, but please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
Jana Schleicher
Virtual Village Ltd.

[line]

I wrote him back to explain that a the Maxxum 5D is a Minolta and that in Japan Maxxum is called Dynax.

His subject line says Split Image Focus Screen Minolta a5D a7D alpha 5D Dynax
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

At least you got a response, I didn't even get that.

It appears that engrish isn't his/her native tongue. It's odd that they'd market a product and not know enough to sell it in the worlds largest market. I guess there's a reason that it's less than half the price of the others. It still may be worth a go, it apprars to be the right one.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:17 PM   #9

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
At least you got a response, I didn't even get that.

It appears that engrish isn't his/her native tongue. It's odd that they'd market a product and not know enough to sell it in the worlds largest market. I guess there's a reason that it's less than half the price of the others. It still may be worth a go, it apprars to be the right one.
Updated response from the EBay seller.

[line]

Hey Mike

Thank you for your reply. And sorry if I confused you. I proofed my lack of knowledge completely. I checked with our professionals now and am happy to tell you that this item is compatible with Minolta Dynax 5D and 7D and the Sony A100 digital cameras.

I hope this answers your question - and happy shopping!

Kind regards,
Jana Schleicher
Virtual Village Ltd.

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:22 PM   #10

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:

That looks like it is designed for a Canon.

Do you know if the focusing screen consists of two lenses? One lens has the autofocus marks and the lens over it is a matte finnish. The one with the matte finnish is probbaly the one that I have trouble with. I'm not sure which one is actually called the focusing screen or both.
BTW... the review of the Haoda doesn't seem that positive in many aspects. The cheaper one on EBay might not be any better and could even be worse. The price is right though. Truthfully if I could get an OEM, I would that. If I wait long enough I'm bound to find someone who has a 5D in parts only condition. LOL

Also I checked with KEH and they are willing to buy my 5D for 300 subject to inspection, which is not bad since I paid less than that with the kit lens and no accesories. I'm sure I could do better on EBay as is. I am still toying with selling off 2, maybe 3 of my cameras and picking up an Alpha. I will keep at least one 7D,maybe both. Someone suggested I keep one each of a 7D and 5D and get the Alpha but I really like my 7Ds and the Alpha could be might compact high res solution. I might start to sell off soon, butbefore I plunge on an Alpha, I preferto wait to see if they come out with a model simliar to the 7D.