Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:38 AM   #1

hello
i am new on this board so, hello !
i have the sony a-100, and i need to use a 500mm mirror on this camera.
first what brand do you recommend ?
Tamron, sigma, tokina, nikkor, rubinar .. etc
(i am fully aware of the restrictions a mirror lens has, fixed f8, needs tripod etc.)
what i need is a good lens in a good price. i dont want pro photos out of this.
i was going to buy a Tamron 500mm , but the only adaptalls i found for minolta were for the Minolta M/MD. and i think that cannot be used on the sony .
what do you recommend to do ?
thanks
alphadelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:16 AM   #2

can anyone help me please ?
at least point me to the adapter to put use to connect a Tamron 500mm with the sony alpha

thanks
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:18 AM   #3

Hello AlphaDelta,

Welcome to these Steves-Digicams forums.

Your question is about your Sony DSLR.

Please post your question at this link in the Sony DSLR section; you will get an answer by those who know:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=84

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Administrator

I moved the thread.

alphadelta wrote:
Quote:
hello
i am new on this board so, hello !
i have the sony a-100, and i need to use a 500mm mirror on this camera.
first what brand do you recommend ?
Tamron, sigma, tokina, nikkor, rubinar .. etc
Minolta. ;-)

The Minolta (and the same lens rebranded as Sony) 500mm f/8 Reflex Autofocus Lens is the only Mirror Lens made by any manufacturer that has Autofocus available.

All the rest of them will require you to manual focus.

Sony will also be selling this lens under the Sony brand. B&H has a listing for it. But, it's out of stock right now. They'll be getting $699 for it.

Quote:
(i am fully aware of the restrictions a mirror lens has, fixed f8, needs tripod etc.)
Add no autofocus unless you are using the Minolta AF Reflex lens (or this same lens rebranded by Sony). Also add donut shaped out of focus highlights (and that goes for all of them, including the Minolta).

You may or may not find it to be objectionable, depending on your subject and background. Some people find it to be ugly, and others don't mind it.

Quote:
what i need is a good lens in a good price. i dont want pro photos out of this.
i was going to buy a Tamron 500mm , but the only adaptalls i found for minolta were for the Minolta M/MD. and i think that cannot be used on the sony .
The MC/MD mount is physically different.

If budget doesn't permit the Minolta Maxxum AF Reflex lens, you'd probably be better off buying a lens that comes with the correct adapter for Maxxum mount (a.k.a., Minolta AF Mount, Minolta A-Mount, Alpha Mount, Dynax Mount). Note that even though you can buy third party lenses in the correct Autofocus Mount, you won't have Autofocus with a non-Minolta lens.

Most of the available non-Minolta Reflex (Mirror) lenses are T-Mount lenses. But, they include a T-Mount to Maxxum Adapter (along with a handful of ND filters).

I don't have any experience with them. But, B&H has a Phoenix branded lens for $109.95

Phoenix 500mm Reflex Lens at B&H

If you dig around the popular vendors (Adorama, etc.), you'll also find some other brands around that include the correct adapter for Maxxum mount (Opteka, Sigma and more).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:21 AM   #5

the good 'ol donut bokeh
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:19 PM   #6

only the minolta or (soon to be released/rebranded Sony) will be AUTOFOCUS

minolta AF reflex 500mm f8 (which WILL work on the A100)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:44 PM   #7

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
only the minolta or (soon to be released/rebranded Sony) will be AUTOFOCUS

minolta AF reflex 500mm f8 (which WILL work on the A100)

GREAT shot. Ugly bokeh, but very sharp subject. I will consider that lens.I currently max out at 400mm with my Vivitar Series 1 100-400 f4-6.3, which I rarely use, but a great lens.

This one is a definite option should I ever need super long range. But I would have to have a lot of cash floating around to justify the expense.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:34 AM   #8

i am not an autofocus guy anyway. i like to use the manual.
what i need to find now is the correct mount to mount a Tamron or a sigma on the sony.
another thing i would be happy if you could answer me is what kinds of mounts are there ?
i know about Tamron's adaptall 2, that goes between the camera and the lens, but i find in ebay some other mounts that look like thin rings .
how do i use those ? do i unscrew the camera's and screw them in , or do the plug on the lens.

thanks
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:15 AM   #9

alphadelta wrote:
Quote:
i am not an autofocus guy anyway. i like to use the manual.
what i need to find now is the correct mount to mount a Tamron or a sigma on the sony.
another thing i would be happy if you could answer me is what kinds of mounts are there ?
i know about Tamron's adaptall 2, that goes between the camera and the lens, but i find in ebay some other mounts that look like thin rings .
how do i use those ? do i unscrew the camera's and screw them in , or do the plug on the lens.

thanks
You need a T mount for Minolta AF (A) mount.It threads onto the threadedback end of the lens and then attaches to your camera as any other lens would. You need to turn off the shutter lock for no lens to get the camera to work.If you don't already have the lens, Cameta and otjhers furnish the correct T-mount with the lens. They sell for ±$10.00 at most dealers. KEH has them on their site, but phone in your order to get USPS shipping.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:48 AM   #10

thank you, all of you