Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/)
-   -   Yet another 5D flash question (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt/108348-yet-another-5d-flash-question.html)

jfl1964 Dec 5, 2006 3:55 PM

This is my first post here. I have to say that I have learned a great deal just by browsing some of the posts, and the thread about the Sunpak 433D used with the 5D is about the most informative post on flashes that I've seen in a while. I have a 5D, but I did not buy an external flash for at the time of purchase, once again showing my usual foresight! Now I am kicking myself! I do have 2 other flashes that I have used with my old Minota gear, an off-brand Albinar 87TTL that I used on my 7000, and a Quantaray QAF-6600 I used with my Maxxum 5. (I believe that was Ritz's private lable. maybe it was made by Sunpak?)

My question is this:from what I've read here, it looks I could get the FS1100 hotshoe adapter and use the old Albinar with the 5D in manual mode only. But is there ANY way I coulduse the QAF6600 at all? It fires when I put it on the hotshoe, but withobviously bad results. I tried putting the camera intomanual mode andsetting it to ISO 200,5.6 @ 1/125. I set the ISO on the flash to 200 as well, but no go. Is there anything I missed, or am I just out of luck on this one? Thanks in advance!

John

rduve Dec 5, 2006 7:59 PM

Does that flash have a auto thyristor? You don't want to set it to manual because that means it always fires at full flash, and you would have to compensate the aperture according to distance. Possible, but a hassle. When you engage the auto function of the flash using the auto thyristor (generally there is a setting for 3-30 ft and 6-60 ft or something similar) and set the aperture, exposure and ISO correctly, you will get correct exposure regardless of distance (within the specified range). The auto thyristor measures the light bouncing back to the flash and then controls proper exposure. Does your flash have that function? Otherwise you will have to calculate the distance and proper aperture for every shot.

Rainer

BillDrew Dec 5, 2006 9:04 PM

rduve wrote:
Quote:

Does that flash have a auto thyristor? You don't want to set it to manual because that means it always fires at full flash, and you would have to compensate the aperture according to distance. Possible, but a hassle. ...
I agree that auto is easier and often better, but manual isn't that bad if you know the distance to your subject. Just read the f/stop off the back of the flash for the ISO being used. Manual is the right way to do it if your subject is in front of an open background which will show as black. Also useful for fill flash IF the sync speed works out with the needed f/stop.

But then I do have acase of flash bulbs somewhere in the garage.

jfl1964 Dec 6, 2006 10:51 AM

1. The Albinar is definitely auto thyristor; it says that on the body. I do not see any auto thyristor on the Q-ray. It has only the flash head, and a red plastic covered sensor at the base. I was wanting to use it for photographing my son's basketball games, so the manual method is not very attractive, as the distance is constantly changing. For any other application, the manual setting would be fine. Thanks!

rduve Dec 6, 2006 1:08 PM

The red sensor generally means that it is a TTL-flash dedicated to a certain camera brand. It should say it on there somewhere. In any case, it is not going to work with the Minolta 5D in auto function. You would need to use manual, which is definitely a pain for sports. Try the other flash and see how the auto thyristor works. It's pretty neat once you figure it out. Works as well as TTL. The only trouble I have with my Sunpak 433D is that a) one has to guess and and play around with the settings to get fill-in flash exposure right, b) the auto thyristor is thrown off when I attach the Stofen diffuser and I have to control exposure manually to get it right. Otherwise it works like a charm as direct and bounce flash.

Rainer

jfl1964 Dec 6, 2006 2:40 PM

Thanks, rduve. As I mentioned earlier, that earlier thread you participated in on using the 433D with the 5D was as informative as any I've read. I appreciate the info. Looks like I need to grit my teeth and get the KM orSony flash if I want to do the sports!