Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

I am starting to see more and more cases on different forums where replacing the shutter only cures the problem temporaily if at all. This just confirms my suspicion that they are just replacing shutters with the same type of shutter. Unless of course there is more than one cause of the problem or the shutter is just one part of the problem. If this is shutter related, I sure hope they at least resolved this in the Alpha or else Sony is in for a rude awakening.

After cleaning the contacts and excercising the shutter till I filled up the memeory card as suggeted by JimC, my problem has not reappeared. I only had the problem once so that may not be a good indication that this works, but so far it has worked for Jim.
I would also like to make note that this error is not unique to Konica Minolta products. I have seen a very similiar condition to mine posted for other camera makes. In fact recently I saw one posted for Fuji with my exact symptoms... First shot almost black with the "ERR" message in the display. According to Fuji, the "ERR" message signifies a voltage problem.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:50 PM   #2

I resigned to the fact that I will live with the problem. I am not going to shell out a couple of hundreds of bucks for them to fix it only to have it recurr later. My camera was out of warranty when it first started.

As long as it does not gets worse I just take a quick test shot every time before I use the camera, switch off and on again,and that handles the issue for at least the rest of the day.

I will probably replace my camera in a year to two from now, at which time Sony will have a track record and we know if they inherited the problem in their line of DSLR's.

By then one can probably get the 12 MP Sony Alpha A300 for $499, and all the bugs will be worked out.

So, as long as it does not get worse, I can live with it. The cause of the whole issue seems to be a mystery for now.

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:03 AM   #3

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I resigned to the fact that I will live with the problem. I am not going to shell out a couple of hundreds of bucks for them to fix it only to have it recurr later. My camera was out of warranty when it first started.

As long as it does not gets worse I just take a quick test shot every time before I use the camera, switch off and on again,and that handles the issue for at least the rest of the day.

I will probably replace my camera in a year to two from now, at which time Sony will have a track record and we know if they inherited the problem in their line of DSLR's.

By then one can probably get the 12 MP Sony Alpha A300 for $499, and all the bugs will be worked out.

So, as long as it does not get worse, I can live with it. The cause of the whole issue seems to be a mystery for now.

Rainer
Sony and otheer manfacturers should be like Honda. When Honda has a major problem, it doesn't matter if it is out of warranty.Honda extended the warranty on certain models that were haveing transmission trouble from 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Irealize this is an expensive proposition forthose in theelectronics business, but if they took this approach they might design a better productto begin with and reduce problems. They might also maintain consumer confidence and brand loyalty if they took a customer focus approach. In Sony's case, this time around it might be especially tough for them to swallow since this was an inherited problem in which they did not realize the direct revenue fromKM camera sales.
Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:36 PM   #4

True, it seems to be the kind of problem that would warrant a recall since it seems to be such a common defect. On the marketing side it might suit them well to take care of the issue. While it is indeed and inherited problem and expensive to fix on a large scale,it would sure create a lot of goodwill and brand loyalty. The people I talked to at Precision camera (Sony's third party repair division, I think) did not seem very concerned about superior customer satisfaction. Maybe that would change if I talked to somebody in Sony's marketing department itself.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:13 AM   #5

I went straight to Sony and got a refund on my camera purchase.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote