Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

I know Minolta 5d /Sony Alpha owners have been looking for a battery grip for some time. There appears to be a 3rd party Battery Grip available for the Minolta 5D on Ebay.

Here is a user review on the product.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21074458

Here is a link to the ebay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Maxxum-D...QQcmdZViewItem

I am not affiliated with this company but have been looking for a battery grip for some time. I ordered one and will give a review when it arrives.
Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 3:51 AM   #2

[sub]Please let us know about this because they also offer Battery Grips for the 7D and A100. And I would like to have one but dont have the budget for the authentic Battery Grip.

Im mainly concerned about the Build Quality, such as its Rubber grip?

I might purchase one next month unless your experience with your grip is poor. Let us know. Thanks

Venn
[/sub]
vclipse3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:56 AM   #3

imo:

this is aftermarket junk, you will have adapter wiring 'hanging all over'

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:35 PM   #4

Unless you want to go with used, aftermarket is going to be the only to get a vertical grip for a 5d/7d atm. I don't know if the connections on the bottom of the A100 are the same as the 5d or 7d so a Sony manufactured one (if it ever appears) may not fit or work right.

I at the very least appreciate that someone in the aftermarket is spending money to produce accessories for the KM DSLRs, perhaps user comments would lead to improvements and/or a progression of features.

I'm not sure if I'd buy this particular grip for my 7d, but I'd give it consideration for a 5d (which it seems to be designed for). I share some sentiments with Bernabeu as this looks to be purely consumer grade. But at the same time I'm glad someone is trying to market to KM owners in the absence of an OEM. I think I could live with the remote shutter cord easier than I could live with the lack of an aperture/ss dial.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

I, too dislike the wires coming out all over, but for the 5D there is no other option. I have heard great comments on DPR from people who have this unit. I paid $300 for my used LNIB VC-7D with a KM NP-400 battery.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6

If you have a 7D, personally I would just go with the minolta grip.. It's a decent grip.

I have a Minolta 5D, so the aftermarketproduct is really the only choice for me. They do sell aftermarket grips for the 7D and the SONY Alpha from the same distributor, but I can't vouche for any of the products. Im not sure if the Minolta 7D grip is compatible with the Sony Alpha, I thought I heard that it isn't so this may be the an option for Sony Alpha users.

My grip hasn't arrived yet but ill take shots and review it when i get it in. Personally I cant wait to try it out.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:45 PM   #7

In case anyone's interested, here's several shots of the 5D model mounted I took for someone who was curious about the setup:

It helps balance the longer lenses nicely [centre of gravity is really lowered with two NP400s in the grip, and one left in the body]...

[I normally tuck the remote lead away under the lens when in use - not sure why they chose to make it so long, since the A100 version (as far as I know) swaps places with the power cable and is shorter]

...and although it can't replicate the thumbwheel [as the connections aren't available] I've found that the existing wheel falls nicely under my index finger when supporting under a lens body:

I've now got an HS-1 strap fitted as per the VC7D - the units not as ergonomic as the VC7D ["boxier"] but nice to have anyway, and the guy in Taiwan who got it for me is also getting hold of the Sony version AA-holders [don't come as standard with the 5D, only the NP400 holders] so I can fall back on those if need be...

Cheers

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:49 PM   #8

IanMiddy wrote:
"I've now got an HS-1 strap fitted as per the VC7D - the units not as ergonomic as the VC7D ["boxier"] but nice to have anyway, and the guy in Taiwan who got it for me is also getting hold of the Sony version AA-holders [don't come as standard with the 5D, only the NP400 holders] so I can fall back on those if need be...

Cheers

IDM"

Cool, thanks for posting the pictures. That looks pretty good. I cant wait to get mine. FYI, the ebay shop i ordered mine from are also offering the AA-holders:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AA-CR-V3-battery...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:19 AM   #9

Jinkage wrote:Thanks for that - always handy to know an alternate source - it's about what I'm paying for mine, but Wayne [chap in Taiwan who sent me my grip] has hopefully sorted out a cheaper [but longer] shipping charge for me [but I'm in no real hurry for 'em].

Good to know the bit about not using the RCR-V3's though - I thought they were just two 1.2v packaged together, but see that the L-Ion versions are 3v - hadn't realised that - although not sure I understand how they differ from 2x 1.5v conventional AA's - but there seem to be some special versions available with voltage protection circuits eg:

http://www.mobypowerus.com/mp-rcrv3.htm

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:14 AM   #10

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
imo:

this is aftermarket junk, you will have adapter wiring 'hanging all over'
I'm not sure if it is junk, but I recall seeing apicture of it installedon a 5D on this forum and the wires hanging all over it turned me off to buying it. That and the fact that it doesn't have all of the controls like the OEM one for the 7D. I own both 5Ds and 7Ds, so I plan to only get a vertical grip for the 7D. If and whenI get a vertical grip I will only buy the OEM, although I hate that we have to paythose ridiculous EBay prices. I especially hate that somesellers managed tosomehow get a stash of them and figure they can gouge us for whatever the market will bear. The the fact that we are bidding against EBayers from foreign markets also seems to add to the problem because they seem to be willing to pay more overseas. I fully understand those 5D and Alpha owners buying the aftermarket grip since this is no alternative.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote