Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:33 AM   #1

A friend of mine sent me this link. Delkin has come out with a complete sensor cleaning kit. First camera will be the Nikon. It isn't cheap at $189.95, but it seems to cover all of the bases.

http://www.delkin.com/products/sensorscope/
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:04 PM   #2

Thats a new one.I thinkit would be safe to say that the only time you really need to clean your sensor is if you can noticedust in the shots you've taken and not by looking for dust with a magnifying glass. Thats looking for trouble.

After reading everything thats out there about sensor cleaning, that for the price the "copperhill" method is the best. I have purchased the Pec*Pads, the 14mm SensorWand (for the 5D & 7D) and a bottle of Eclipse and have cleaned my sensor around 10 times.

I would say it's 75% preparation and 25% technique to be successful at cleaning your sensor. After you get comfortable it takes about 10 to 20 seconds for the cleaning.

Im not saying that the sensorscope is not a useful product or it does not work, we'll have to wait to hear some feedback from those who try it.

Butthe cost. That system is extremely pricey. The Kit from Micro-Tools cost around $23 and will last for years. Check it out if you already haven't.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:02 PM   #3

I bought the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly brush for my sensors, and cleanded one in one pass and the other in two. You can breath on the sensor and the dust will show up immediately.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:46 PM   #4

I've found that the the #2 SensorSwabs (for the 5D & 7D) and a bottle of Eclipse cleaner is very effective & reasonably priced. I've cleaned my sensor at least 6 times & never had a problem & the sensor came out totally clean. The only thing I can see that the Delkin kit offers is a "sensorscope" & I have one of those already, I just call it a jewelers loupe.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5

KalypsoI've found that the the #2 SensorSwabs (for the 5D & 7D) and a bottle of Eclipse cleaner is very effective & reasonably priced.

The SensorSwabs are definitely the easiest way to go. You do not have to wrap a Pec*Pad around a wand but they are a lot more expensive then Pec*Pads and a SensorWand.

Either way if used properly you'll end up with the same result, a nice clean sensor.

cope You can breath on the sensor and the dust will show up immediately.

Duringmy first few cleanings I noticed that I would just end up moving the dust around on the sensor or accidentally bump the side of the chamberwith the SensorWand during the swiping. Then I would go shoot the sky, check, and actually have new pieces of dust or dirt or whatever on my sensor. It definitely takes practice to master the technique.

Now after about 10 cleanings, it takes about 5 minutes of setting up, and about 15 seconds to take the body cap off, swipe, and put cap back on with very good results. I find the cap is a lot easier to work with then a lens.

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:34 AM   #6

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
cope You can breath on the sensor and the dust will show up immediately.

Duringmy first few cleanings I noticed that I would just end up moving the dust around on the sensor or accidentally bump the side of the chamberwith the SensorWand during the swiping. Then I would go shoot the sky, check, and actually have new pieces of dust or dirt or whatever on my sensor. It definitely takes practice to master the technique.

I guess that is a possibility, and so is sloshing cleaner off the edges of teh sensor. I just know that mine came out clean, and after a day of shooting at the Renaissance Festival, and several lens changes, min was still clean. Also, the day before the ren fest, I got my 7D back from Precision, checked for dust and had none. I think it's highly likely that my dust came from the factory.

In the final analysis, all of the methods work, it's just finding one that you like.