Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1

I planned to purchase the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC len for around $479, does anyone own this len and give me opinion?
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

I'm not sure if you've already tried this but check dyxum.com and go to the Lens' specs, there are several links that have detailed write-ups/reviews with samples. check it out, heres the link: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=225

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I planned to purchase the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC len for around $479, does anyone own this len and give me opinion?
vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the information, most of the reviews gave this len a high score or highly recommanded, I will order one next week.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 9:51 PM   #4

I have a Sigma 10-20 and it is a fun lense to own. It is built well and I have had no problems. It goes very wide which allows for some very interesting shots. Interior shots are amazing and landscapes are impressive. The color is good and rich and when stopped down can be fairly sharp. I really enjoy using the lens.

On the down side, it does have distortion at 10mm, but this is almost to be expected. It is not real fast, f4-5.6, the focal range is limited, 10-20, and the filter size is large at 77mm. But all of these are trade offs for being so wide. I tend to be a bit more creative with this lens mounted.

If you are missing the wide focal length with your 1.5 crop factor, this lens is the cure. Enjoy. :-)

MaxImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5

My 10-20mm will be arrived next week, I think it will be a good len.

I also have the 77mm UV thin filter, but I also want to buy the CPL, should I buy the 77mm CPL or 82mm CPL with the 72mm-82mm adapter? I really want to use 10mm and don't want to have black area around the frame if the 72mm CPL too thick. I need advice which one should I buy. I also plan to buy the graduate filter too, which one should I buy. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:56 PM   #6

I use the Hoya HMC 77mm UV filter which is a standard 5mm thick and have no problems. I do not use the thin (3mm)UV filter andone is not required on the Sigma 10-20. CPL filters are generally thicker, so I buy a thin filter like the Hoya HMCPro or Thin lines which are also 5mm. The standard Hoya HMC CPL is 7mm and this might cause problems. I have not purchased a CPL yet for mine but plan to stay with the 5mm ones when I do. If you use the 82mm with a step up ring, I don't think you could use the lens hood.

You will also find that the lens cap for the Sigma 10-20 is not well designed and is not a center pinch cap. It is difficult to remove with the lens hood on. I purchased an aftermarket 77mm center pinch cap.
MaxImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice.

lsifs