Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:08 PM   #1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...yNavigationAdd

Their in the cart price is $152-110 rebate. $47.91 shipped to my door.

cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2
Administrator

cope wrote:
Quote:
$47.91 shipped to my door.
Don't you mean around $160 or so shipped to your door (around $152 + shipping)? :-)

Then, send in the rebate form, UPC, etc., and hope that you have a $110 check back by the end of February (since it says to allow 8 weeks for it). Of course, that assumes that they don't lose your form, you don't mistake it for junk mail when/if it comes, or you didn't miss something on the form giving the rebate fullfillment company a reason to deny it.

I hate rebates. lol

Yep... It's a great price. I just wish they'd offer it to you up front.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:43 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
cope wrote:
Quote:
$47.91 shipped to my door.
Don't you mean around $160 or so shipped to your door (around $152 + shipping)? :-)

Then, send in the rebate form, UPC, etc., and hope that you have a $110 check back by the end of February (since it says to allow 8 weeks for it). Of course, that assumes that they don't lose your form, you don't mistake it for junk mail when/if it comes, or you didn't miss something on the form giving the rebate fullfillment company a reason to deny it.

I hate rebates. lol

Yep... It's a great price. I just wish they'd offer it to you up front.
My cup is half full tonight, but yours brother Jim is half empty.:-) I have never missed out on a rebate. Even if it comes later than that, it's NBD. Actually, if you think about it, the out the door price from B&H isn't too shabby; I paid ±$80 eachfor a couple of 2GB 133X back in late August.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4
Administrator

Yep.. It's a pretty decent price. Memory prices are continuing to fall pretty fast. Vendors are almost giving away the 1GB cards now.

It never ceases to amaze me how far we've advanced with storage. I can remember the first hard disk drive I bought to try and reduce the need to swap floppies.

It was a full height 5MB Seagate, and I figured that 5MB would be all I'd ever need. Yea, right. lol

I've still got that drive, and it still worked the last time I fired it up. The bearings were getting pretty loud. But, it still worked, and that's a >20 year old drive. Who says magnetic media isn't reliable? lol I've got multiple 20MB drives around that probably still work, too (hopefully, the bearings haven't frozen in them for lack of use).

Heck, I've still got some 4MB and 16MB CompactFlash cards sitting around. I noticed a 4MB Card in a drawer not long ago, and I've got a 16MB card sitting on my desk right now. I thought that getting that much storage into such a small size was amazing at one time.

Now, you can buy 4GB CompactFlash cards for around $50 to $75, as long as you don't need the latest and greatest name brand cards. lol

For example, newegg.com has a 45x Transcend 4GB card for only $52.99 now with no rebates needed, and they've got some faster 100x and 120x cards in several brands for not much more (around $70).

Of course, they're not going to be as fast as the Lexar at B&H.

Given that larger cards are starting to hit the market (8GB cards have been on the shelves for a while and more larger cards should follow soon), I can see why we'd be seeing rebates on the 4GB cards. Before you know it, they'll be considered small. :lol:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:47 AM   #5

In 1994, I bought my first PC, a Gateway 486/66 with 12MB RAM and a 750MB hard drive. At the time, Compaq's largest drive was a 255MB. My brother-in-law remarked that I would never fill it up. I didn't, but in 1999, I got a Compaq Deskpro with a 6GB drive and installed MS Streets and Trips which took 750MB of drive space. Brother-in-law and I reminisce about his statement 12 years ago, and his feeling is that no matter how big a drive WD or Seagate build, MS or someone else will create software to fill it to the brim.