Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:36 PM   #11

It islikely to find a camera with 50 1.7 lens on ebay for less than the lens alone, as this was the kit lens included with many AF film cameras.

I purchased a excellent Maxxum 7000 with bag and 50 1.7 for about $50.00.

filmscanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Administrator

Yep.... I got a Maxxum 7000 including a 50mm f/1.7 AF Lens and an 1800AF flash (with manuals, too) for a buy it now price of only $49.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:34 AM   #13

filmscanusa wrote:
Quote:
It islikely to find a camera with 50 1.7 lens on ebay for less than the lens alone, as this was the kit lens included with many AF film cameras.

I purchased a excellent Maxxum 7000 with bag and 50 1.7 for about $50.00.

I picked up a second one on EBay with a Buy it Now of 14.95 and 7.95 shipping. Didn't really need it but the price was right and it is in excellent shape
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:34 PM   #14

I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if someone has posted this yet or not, but I've got the Minolta 28-75 f/2.8 and I've found that it works great for portrait work. No if I were doing professional work I might go for a prime in the 75-85 range with a bit bigger aperature but since I'm not, the constant 2.8 gives me a pretty shallow DOF an it a great lense.

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:57 PM   #15

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know if someone has posted this yet or not, but I've got the Minolta 28-75 f/2.8 and I've found that it works great for portrait work. No if I were doing professional work I might go for a prime in the 75-85 range with a bit bigger aperature but since I'm not, the constant 2.8 gives me a pretty shallow DOF an it a great lense.
It's pretty good, especially considering it's a zoom lens. Indoors in low light I prefer the 50mm 1.7.

You might consider the Tamron 90mm 2.8 as a prime. Great results and affordable, especially the non-DI version. It's a little bigger than I like to use indoors, so the 2.8 is more than adequate for my needs. I would say the same would hold true for primes in the 75-85 range unless you are working in very large rooms and are trying for a more candid approach. Then maybe longer/brighter might be more useful.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:56 AM   #16

I think I am going to go with the 50mm f/1.7. Now the problem is finding one. I am hesitant to buy from someone on ebay because what might be good condition for them may not be for me. I saw the package deals for a 7000 but no "buy me nows" at low prices. I did find a demo one at an online camera store and I think I am going to go with that one - I hope it is a newer model lens. I'll have to take the monetary hit for a little bit of security. It is impossible to find a brand new one. I don't think I can go wrong with it though. I am happy with my setup now with this lens almost in hand.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I have attached a picture that I took of my daughter at lunch time with my 5D and my 100mm f/2.8. I love this lens. I just hope I can get similar results with my new(used) 50mm.
Attached Images

mrwizard93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:08 AM   #17

The 50mm/ f1.7 is great, but in tight quarters, the kit lens isn't too bad....

Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:13 AM   #18

I USE AN OLD MAXXUM 35-70 1:4

I RARELY NEED A BIGGER AP ANYWAY. IT LIMITS YOUR DEPTH OF FIELD TO MUCH ANYWAY...GOOD IF YOUR TAKING PICTURES OF PAINTING BUT THATS IT
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote