Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:37 AM   #1

I have taken well over a 1,000 photos with my Sony A100. I fully charged the battery a week ago and over the last few days I have taken fewer than 100 photos. The camera shows a full charge remaining. But I thought I would 'top up' the battery so as to have a full charge for tomorrow. So far the battery has been charging for 12 hours and the light on the charger remains on. The Li-ion battery is a genuine Sony, model NP-FM55H. The charger is Sony BC-VM10. Is such a long charging time usual? Is the battery defective? (It seems to work fine.) Is the charger defective? Should it charge the battery in less time? Or, am I just too impatient?
nmswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:56 AM   #2

should take 1.5 hour

?electronics prevent charging a 'charged' battery?

?dirty contacts?

?not actually inserted in charger?

:?
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:17 PM   #3

SONY has made the worse battery in the world, I have SONY cameras, notebook computers, AA rechargeable batteries.... All of them have defected after the first or few uses. So go to ebay to buy two more after market batteries. Do Not buy any battery has SONY name on it.

lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:34 PM   #4

While I do agree that sony batteries have problems (Look at Dell and Apple Notebooks) if the battery were dead it wouldn't be showing a full charge. It would either be dead or blowing up in your camera :sad:

Not a bad idea to pick up a spare. I have 3 and rotate through them. Always carry at least one extra with me. 7D goes through them much faster than the 5D or A100.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:15 PM   #5

The SONY batteries that I have are not totally dead, most of them are still accepting full charge under normal time, but the discharge time is very short, for example the battery for my VAIO notebook could last approx. 2.5 hours under normal use when it was brand new, but down to 15 minutes after it was 3 months old. All SONY batteries that I owned have the same problem.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:35 PM   #6

"All SONY batteries that I owned have the same problem."

-> Fool me once; shame on you, fool me twice; shame on me! <-

:|
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:09 AM   #7

I just shared my experience and it's true, I did not try to fool anyone, please do not misunderstanding. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:08 PM   #8

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I just shared my experience and it's true, I did not try to fool anyone, please do not misunderstanding. Thanks.
I have no reason to doubt your experience; mine is the opposite with I-Lithiums in my Sony Mini-DV camcorder. The batteries seem to last forever in the bag, and to date I see no issue with premature discharge.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:18 PM   #9

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I could be wrong but I don't think you were being acused of trying to fool anyone. I took thereference to "Fool me once; shame on you, fool me twice; shame on me!", to infer that you keep buying Sony batteries despite having problems with every Sony battery you have owned. Of course buying after market party batteries is not always easy or possible and some third party batteries are junk.

By the way, I have experianced problems with rechargeable batteries on one of my camcorders with both OEM and aftermarket. The battery in my Acer notebook did not last very long either.

The KM batteries I have work very well as do the Maxcell equivalent at least thus far.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:13 AM   #10

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I meant: If you don't like Sony batteries, stop using them.