Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:09 AM   #11

Sneezy,

I too got the 3600 instead of the 5600 because of budget limitations. My plan was to start with the 3600 and stay with it while I learn, then get the 5600 later. Well, I wish I would have gotten the 5600 first. Don't get me wrong, the 3600 works great...but the limitations are noticeable. The biggest for me is the lack of a swivel head. Can't shoot in portrait orientation unless you take the flash off and use it wirelessly. Works great, but requires two hands. Also, the lack of manual settings...I have to consistently change my 5D set to -2/3 flash compensation, but only when I'm bouncing the flash. From what I understand the 5600 is alot easier to adjust.

I too am going to get a Lightshpere, but there's no sense until I get the 5600 and a swivel head. I'll add that the 3600 (or any good flash) has made me a much better indoor photographer. Learning how light works and seeing the instant feedback on a DSLR has been very useful.

Good luck!:|

BTW...what's with the cats and photographers?????
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:20 AM   #12

Thanks for the feed back I am sure I'll eventually want the 56 but for now I'm doing ok with the 36. And as far as cats I have no idea Minoltanut had his kitty so I should him mine taken with the 50 f1.7 and he should me his with the golf ball.

But, it seems to be universal with camera nuts that we use our cats for our practicing a lot especially when our kids are all grown up
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:02 AM   #13

or won't hold still for a long exposure:lol:
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:41 PM   #14

KM 5D with Sony HVL-F36AM flash. Auto mode on everything!:-)

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:45 PM   #15

....and here's one of my cats taken a couple of years ago with my Ixus 500.

Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:49 PM   #16

Love the picture of the bikes! And your cat looks like she's bored stiff
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:47 AM   #17

Hi, you say "auto everything" for this shot. I have exactly the same equipment but the auto light on the flash doesn't illuminate on the 5D. Strangely it works in full auto mode on my 35mm 70si. Any info would be good as manuals are not!
alan55mmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:53 AM   #18

Hi Alan.

I don't know about your equipment but I see the same thing on the A100.

For the Sony you have to set the exposure mode to a selection that supports auto flash (e.g. "AUTO") and set the camera's flash mode to "AUTO FLASH". The flash "AUTO" LED then illuminates. The flash only fires if the camera decides it is necessary.

Do you have similar settings on your 5D?

Regards,

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:15 PM   #19

I set my camera to Auto mode and auto WB. I don't recall the 'auto' light illuminating on the flash unit but I don't tthink it presented any problems.

I forgot to mention on my thread above that I also used an omni type diffuser to take any possible harshness out of the flash.