Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought the Sony Flash. I got it last night and haven't gotten to play yet. Has anyone else used the HV36?

What do you think of it? Are you happy with your results? Do you have any pictures you could share?
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:36 PM   #2

I AVOID FLASHES LIKE THE PLAGUE
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:19 AM   #3

Hi Sneezy,

I have the Minolta equivalent (3600HS) and also its big brother, the HVL-F56AM/5600HS. I like them both. The 3600HS is very convenient and easy to use and seems to be very economical on battery consumption. You have not indicated how you plan to use it so it is difficult to say if the extra feature of the bigger unit will be useful to you or not. For me the 3600HS has a couple of limitation;

1) No head swivel (you can tilt only). However, if you use the flash off camera, as most people recommend, then this is not too much of a problem.

2) Variable power settings. If you want to limit the amount of light produced by the flash you are out of luck.

The feature I find most useful on this flash is the wireless triggering system. This allows you to position the flash exactly where you want for the best results. If you are not already familiar with the work of Gary Friedman I highly recommend that you visit his web site:

http://friedmanarchives.com/

Here you can find some excellent articles and books that describe the Sony/Minolta flash system.

Now that you have a flash unit you may want to investigate a light modifier for it. I just got a LightSphere 2. I have not had too much time to play with it yet but the test shots look very promising.

Here is a sample picture taken with the 3600HS mounted on the hot shoe, camera set to "fill flash" mode.

Regards,

--FrankD

Attached Images

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:21 AM   #4

Here is another sample illustrating the 5600HS and 3600HS working together in wireless mode. The primary light was provided by the 5600HS mounted to a reflector umbrella. The secondary light was provided by the 3600HS located in a different room!

Attached Images

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:13 PM   #5

I DON'T USE FLASHES ,SHHHHHHHHHHH DON'T TELL
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:22 PM   #6

Sorry double post
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:23 PM   #7

Frank I plan mostly to use off camera or bounce off the ceiling. A friend of mine has the minolta 36 and i've use it a lot and really like it. Thank you for the examples and the info. I knew the 36 was ok but kind of wanted a second opinion know what I mean

I debated about the 56 but I just didn't have it in the budget right now....I figure for the time being I'd use the 36 and then as money became more available maybe get the 56

I've used the 36 several times. Here is a shot I bounced off the ceiling This was in a very dimly lit reception hall.

Minolta nut I have 50 f1.7 I use a lot without flash but there are times you have to have one!
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:05 PM   #8

And minolta nut here is a picture for you with my 50 1.7
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:02 PM   #9

but there are times you have to have one!

I KNOW I KNOW...LIKE WHEN YA WANT TO BLIND PEOPLE...LOL....

THEY ARE GREAT FOR THINGS YOU CAN'T GET TO HOLD STILL..LIKE KIDS

THE DIGITAL AGE CHANGED THAT NEED FOR SURE...GOT TO LOVE IT

I WOULD HAVE SAVED A LOT OF FILM IN THE LAST 40 YEARS.:crazy:
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:40 PM   #10

FOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images