Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

I DO have Minolta Dynax 7 with another Minolta body and few lenses for a long time.

I have not considered to buy the digitalMinolta's substitution, (Sony DSLR-A100) yet.

Recently I managed to check the DSLR A100. It didn't have the same feeling that Dynax body has. Also I felt that the 10mp is not good enough yet.

I might consider to buy the 2nd or 3rd generation of Minolta's substitution with better resolution (at least 20mp) with better improvement . Till that moment I would consider to use my old loyal camera (Minolta Dynax 7).

You could look at few of my images that I took with Dynax film camera:

http://www.nfolio.net/gallery.php?usr_id=684

kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2

IT WILL SAVE YOU LOTS OF $ ON FILM AND DEVELOPING!:|
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

What makes you think the quality is not there? How large do you usually print your work and what do you use it for?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:17 PM   #4

kombizz wrote:
Quote:
... It didn't have the same feeling that Dynax body has. Also I felt that the 10mp is not good enough yet.
Same question Mark asked: good enough for what? Have you actually compared the Sony with you film camera? Likely you would be able to convince a shop to let you take a few shots with a Sony out the door using you own lens that you can duplicate with the same lens and your film body. Likely they would even transfer the digital image(s) to a thumb drive. If you haven't done that, you should.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:20 PM   #5

kombizz wrote:
Quote:
It didn't have the same feeling that Dynax body has.
I wouldn't expect it to have the same feeling as the 7 body. The A100 is smaller and lighter than the 7D. The 7D being the digital equivalent to you 7.

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 2:46 PM   #6

I wasn't sure I was going to like the lighter feel of the Sony Alpha after shooting with my son's 7D but now I love it. The fact that it's just a little lighter makes for a good camera to pack around all day long.

It does amazing prints. I've even had a gallery wrap done that was 20 x 30 and it's amazing! I don't know how big of print you are wanting to make but I can't imagine you needing anything as large as 20! The 10 gives you huge files that have printed anything I want...I've not found a size to big yet for my son's 7D.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 3:56 PM   #7

KM 7D w/ "kit" lens (printable 16x20 @ 200ppi):

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:43 PM   #8

Leave "kimbizz" alone.

Don't think he/she is knocking the quality of the Sony/Minolta digital SLR's.

You have to remember, with his Maxxum 7, on of the worlds greatest film cameras ever, he scans his film/slide to a40mb file if he wishes. But this isn't about film vs digital, this about someone who loves his/her Maxumm 7 so much, i's not worth the change yet to a 6 or 10 mp SLR.

I have film and digital, and when I'm not shooting my 7D, which I can't live without, I love shoting my X-700.... what a great view finder!! It makes it hard to go back to the 7D, and I can only dream of owning a Maxuum 7 with all it's features.

The Sony and Minolta SLR's aren't even full-frame sensors. Both film and digital have thier advantages.

To each his own.......!

1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9

10 MP IS STILL NOT CLOSETO GOOD 35MMFILM BUT ITS GETTING THERE....IT'S ABOUT AT REG FILM NOW...GOOD FILM 35MM IS ABOUT A 13MP EQUIVALENT
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:54 AM   #10
Super Moderator

1958fury wrote:
Quote:
Leave "kimbizz" alone.

Don't think he/she is knocking the quality of the Sony/Minolta digital SLR's.

You have to remember, with his Maxxum 7, on of the worlds greatest film cameras ever, he scans his film/slide to a40mb file if he wishes. But this isn't about film vs digital, this about someone who loves his/her Maxumm 7 so much, i's not worth the change yet to a 6 or 10 mp SLR.

I have film and digital, and when I'm not shooting my 7D, which I can't live without, I love shoting my X-700.... what a great view finder!! It makes it hard to go back to the 7D, and I can only dream of owning a Maxuum 7 with all it's features.

The Sony and Minolta SLR's aren't even full-frame sensors. Both film and digital have thier advantages.

To each his own.......!

I don't think that Kombizz was being picked on rather the guys (and girls) here were tyring to tease out what he was looking for in a camera that was making this not up to the task. Most of us who are a little older (I just include myself in that now) will have come from film and be all too aware of the differences (good and bad) between 35mm and digital so could empathise on the situation if we knew more. One thing that is clear is that Sony do need to release a KM7D replacement very soon so there is a camera with more control and better handling (I had a KM5D until switching to Canon as I mostly shoot sport). OK I know you can control most things but I mean in the old school way so you don't have to go into as many menus...... this will help the transition for people who have been shooting film for years.

Full frame would be lovely to see from all camera manufacturers but it is still hugely expensive and as the 1.5 crop (APS-C) seems to have become a standard and most dSLR users are used to this and enjoying the extra length of their lenses, I think it is only going to be be higher end cameras in the ranges which include full frame. I do miss the extra creativeness that could be achieved by being able to reduce dof more easily than with APS-C but have got used to it pretty much.

One last point is that digital has made most of us more lazy photographers and people who have not shot with film will probably be more so. We don't need to think as much and I find myself getting into the mentality of "it's OK I can take a few shots and see which works best" rather than taking my time to get it right in one or two. I am trying to go back to this more so I use skill rather than luck to get the right shot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote