Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:56 AM   #11
Administrator

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
On the issue of aperture selection, my 7d will allow me to select f1.7 (on my 50mm f1.7) in an unlit room with the lens cap on. It doesn't force any aperture or lock out any aperture range, or at least I cannot reproduce your results. I even reconfirmed this at ISO 100. It doesn't restrict f values at all, I can select any aperture from f1.7--22. The shutter will even release at f22 (though I've maxxed out the shutter timer at f2) I can confirm that this issue isn't present in my 7d, but can only guess as to why it presents in yours.
It may be unique to some lenses or shooting modes. The last time I saw someone report it, it was Cope when using the Tamron 28-300mm.

It wouldn't let him select f/6.3 with the Exposure Compensation Dial set to the 0.5 increments side (widest available was f/6.7 on the long end of the lens). See this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

I've seen it popup from time to time with other lenses, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:07 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input. I'm currently set to Single-shot AF... that's where I usually keep it and haven't had this problem in the past. I've wondered about the backfocus/frontfocus issues. I may try to reset it before I send it in.
Quote:
On the issue of aperture selection, my 7d will allow me to select f1.7 (on my 50mm f1.7) in an unlit room with the lens cap on. It doesn't force any aperture or lock out any aperture range, or at least I cannot reproduce your results. I even reconfirmed this at ISO 100. It doesn't restrict f values at all, I can select any aperture from f1.7--22. The shutter will even release at f22 (though I've maxxed out the shutter timer at f2) I can confirm that this issue isn't present in my 7d, but can only guess as to why it presents in yours. Are you using zone matching?
I would think in the given situation that it should have allowed me to select a fully open aperture. I think the first time I noticed this was while I was shooting wildlife (birds to be exact) from my blind on a very cloudy day. I usually shoot in SP Mode, so I don't recall why I was even attempting to shoot in AP Mode at the time as it's been quite some time ago, but for some reason, I was using AP Mode and it wouldn't allow me to use a wide aperture then. Now, that would NOT have been my 85mm lens... it would have either been my 200mm HS APO lens or my cheapie 75-300mm kit lens.I really don't use APMode as often as Manual or SP Mode, soI haven't had it happenoften. Ineed toplay around with it a bit moreand see SPECIFICALLYwhat it does with which lenses.

Again, I appreciate all the help andI'll send itoff soon (if I can part with it for long enough).:lol:
gracie328 is offline   Reply With Quote