Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
JTF

Are Quantaray lenses sold at Ritz camera any good for a Sony A100.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:51 PM   #2

Quantaray lenses are made by Sigma for retail at Ritz/Wolf camera. They are as good as their Sigma counterparts, but the ones on ebay generally are lower quality lenses. (it's not that Quantaray lenses are of poor quality per se, but more that most buyers that opt for quantaray lenses are buying the low quality glass- they're shopping for price)

Some of the quantaray primes are equal to (and I'veheard some say better than) their Minolta rivals. I'd buy a quantaray prime in 24 , 28, or 35mm but I'd probably steer clear of the zooms which tend to have slow apertures for their focal length.

Oh, and yes, the Quantaray for Minolta A/Sony mount lenses will work fine on your A100.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:48 AM   #3
JTF

Tks for the info.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:15 PM   #4

One other thing- I'm not sure if all older quantaray lenses will work on Sony DSLR's. There are a few older Sigma lenses which do not work, and I would suspect their quantaray counterparts would suffer from the same issues. New ones should work without any issues.

Dyxum.com has a pretty good database of what lenses work on Minolts DSLR's, and any that work on the Minolta DSLR should also work on the Sony.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote