Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1

Got one offebay recently, and alas...no instruction manual. I've been playing around with it, and it's pretty fool-proof for most of the stuff so far, like a birthday party and Christmas morning. However, I went to my son's basketball game to play around with it, and when the flash wason the 5D body, Inoticed that the HSS indicator wouldnot light when the HSS button waspressed. The best I could get was the standard 125 shutter speed with my 50mm 1.7. Is HSS just a wireless function,do I have a flash that's not fully functional, or am I just an idiot who isn't doing something right? Thanks!
jfl1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

I don't have my flash manual with me today have the camera bag If you can wait till tonight I'll read for you and let you know I have the Sony 36 but they are the same flash.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:32 PM   #3

Hi Folks,

I found the Sony version of the instruction manual here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/manua...Name=HVL-F36AM

Hope this helps.

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 2:54 PM   #4

Thanks, FrankD! I had searched the Minolta and KM sites, but didn't think to look at the Sony site. After your post, I hit that link and found out what the problem is: you can't use the HSS with the flash head in a bounce position! Rotated the head all the way down...bingo! Thanks again!
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:41 PM   #5

Hi jfl1964,

Glad to hear that your 3600HS appears to be working okay. One can never be sure if you are buying someone's problems whenyou go eBay.

I've never tried HSS but when browsing that section of the manual I notice that HSS costs you a fair bit of flash power. This sounds like shooting sports events could pose a bit of a challenge unless you can get close to the action. Let us know how you do.

Regards,

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6

Frank, you are right. I tried it, and nowhere near the "stop action" that I got with the flash using the Program mode. Strangely, I've found that I actually like theshots WITHOUTflash, using my old 50mm 1.7, with the ISO set at 1600. Go figure...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:25 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice guys; I thought I'd post a picture that's pretty representative of what I'm getting in the gym. I thought the HSS option sounded good due to the faster shutter speed, but the pics were a lot darker. I'm using the 5D body, 50mm 1.7, 70-210 f4, and the 3600HSD. Any input is appreciated!
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

What modes/settings were you using when you got the dark results? Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual? Multi Point Meter, Centre Weighted? Lastly ISO, Shutter and Aperture of the shot?

This might then shed some light (pardon the pun) onto the situation.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:40 AM   #9

Having just received the flash, I was eager to try the faster shutter speeds, as using myprior flash defaulted the shutter speed to 125. I tried Shutterpriority, using 200, 300, and 400, and let the camera set the aperture. I did not alter the metering in any way, and changed the AF to the spot focus. The ISO setting was usually 1600 or 3200. Not really liking the results, I went back to a slight angle to the flash, which I later learned disables the HSS, and went with the 125 f4, which I believe is the setting on the above pic.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Super Moderator

If you are in aperture priority then you will find the camera will try to expose for the background so when shooting with flash you should go for manual. I would give 1/500th and if you are using the 50mm f1.7 then try f2.2 which should be pretty strong. Give that a bash and see what happens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote