Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:28 PM   #1

I've been a Minolta user for a while back to a 7000i. I now used a 7D which I love. My question(s) today are centered around trying to pick up some longer focal length lenses.

First, I would really like to find a place that rents Minolta / Sony mount lenses. Something more than a 35-80/f5.6. I'd like a 400mm or 500mm lens (of any reasonable brand) or some of the Minolta G lenses. I'm trying to decide what to buy next and having one on hand would really help.

So, second, what do you recomend for some long glass? I've looked at a tokina 80-400mm before, I've also had my eye on the tamron 200-400/500mm LD (depending on generation), and three sigmas: 50-500mm ($ouch$), 135-400mm apo, and sme other 500mm zoom that escapes me now.

I would like to have a ssm 80-200mm G, but here's to dreaming. Ministry doesn't pay that good!

All help really appriciated.
Thrasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2007, 6:08 PM   #2

While most B&M photography stores are willing to let you demo a lens for a little while, I know of nobody that will let you rent one. Mayberental is more common in the city than it is in the rural areas I have lived. I have never thought to ask.

I have come to a place in my lens purchasing where I am really done buying any lens on price alone (unless I think I can turn a profit on it). It's just counterproductive, so I save up , buy, save again, ...

I have recently decided to sell off all my low to mid grade lenses. Some I will sell right away, some I will sell when I can afford to replace them with high quality lenses. I already have some nice glass in MC/MD mount, but I am just starting to get high quality lenses in Minolta AF. I think the 80-200 f2.8 is going to be next on my list, and saving the $2000 is going to take me a while. Now that I've shared my own philosophy on lens buying, I'd recommend that very 80-200 f2.8 APO Minolta AF. If you want cheaper but still good quality, for about 1/10th the price, you can get the 70-200 f4 'beercan'. I know nobody who is disappointed with this lens.I opted for the smaller but still nice 70-210 f3.5-4.5, it's not so heavy and often a bit cheaper than the $200 the f4 version is selling for. I do eventually want a zoom that gets out to about 500mm, the Tamron 200-400/500 is a likely choice for me. I just got my first Tokina AT-X AF lens (28-70 f2.8 )and I am enjoying it. Tamron XR LD lenses are looking good to me right now also, I love the utility of the 28-300 XR LD lens. If it was f 2.8, I'd weld it to my 7d. I am on Sigma hiatus, the last 2 Sigma lenses I purchased did not impress me. (though they were not pro-grade lenses so maybe I am a bit harsh)

What kind of shooting are you doing? are you looking for fast apertures or just good optics? how much do you want to spend to get to 200mm or 500mm? These would dictate to me better what kind of lens you will be happy with.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:15 PM   #3

Big camera stores that cater to pros will rent special purpose lenses, and that sounds like what you're looking for.

You may have trouble in Wilmington, especiallyfor one that has KM/Sony lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:20 PM   #4

Being able to rent good glass in just about any metro area in the world is the big reason to buy Nikon or Canon. Maybe Hasablad comes close, but no other camera manufacturer is anywhere near to being able to match NiCon.

Will be interesting to see if Sony can compete at that level.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5

http://www.rentglass.com is the only on-line rental that I know of. Right now its just for Nikon and Canon but word has it they'll be carrying some Sony/KM glass by this summer.
jmitch2547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:42 PM   #6

Spoke to B&H - and they say that they will no longer demo / ship. They will only do it sometimes if you live in the area. As such, I'm out of luck.

These days, I shooting mostly wild life / birds and some macro work. I have a tamron 90mm 2.8 that works well for macro, but the only long I have is a Sigma 70-300mm/ 4.5-5.6 and it just hasn't given me images that I'm overly excited about. Its ok - but I'd like to move beyond ok.

Anyone have any good leads on a 80-200 2.8?
I've seen the tokina 80-400mm (old version) for $300 and the long sigma zooms for the $600-700 range.

Just don't know which way to go and unfortunately I can't have them all or my wife would kill me.

Oh yeh, I also want to have something that I can use at work without getting of the way of service (Church).
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:33 PM   #7

Have you considered the Minolta 100-400mm? It seems to get good reviews. I've seen them listed at KEH in the $600-$700 price range.

I'm currently looking for a long lens as well. The Tamron 200-500mm looks very interesting but here in Canada it's bit expensive - CAN$1200+.

FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:53 PM   #8

I think for the price (and light), I'd rather something else than the minolta 100-400. That f6.7 at the end just is pretty dark. For cheaper I think I'd go with the tokina and gain a faster lens (f5.6 at the end) or go with one of the sigmas.

Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:01 AM   #9

There is a place that now rents Minolta/Sony. Finally!

http://www.alphalensrental.com/index.html

Enjoy!
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:32 AM   #10

And they offer a very nice selection too ...
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote