Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:23 PM   #11

How do you go about using the custom WB.
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:47 PM   #12
Administrator

Check your user guide. You've got an entire dial on the 5D dedicated to White Balance.

That's actually one area that the 5D outperforms the 7D (the 5D has more available WB options, inculding the ability to dial in magenta/green compensation with a specific kelvin color temperature (the 7D is missing the magenta/green compensation feature).

Both models support custom WB fine. A Photographic Gray card is recommended. But, almost anything white can get you close in a pinch (a couple of white coffee filters, white dinner napkin, etc.).

I've been using a "trick target" for mine lately (the gray inside of one of my camera cases seems to give slightly warmer skin tones when I use it as a target). I tried it to see how it would work and liked it. lol

Basically, you want to set the WB in the lighting you're shooting in. For conditions like that, you'd want to set it down on the court, and if lighting is mixed with more than one kind, set it where you're getting a bit of both light sources.

Using a custom white balance is allowing the camera to capture an image of a photographic gray or white card (which are neutral) in the light you're shooting in so that it can determine the temperature of the light source and apply the same WB to other photos taken in those conditions.

Set it to spot metering first (and don't forget to change it back to the metering mode you prefer mode after you set your WB). I've forgotten more than once. ;-)

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:01 AM   #13

Would the back of a 4/6 index card work or should you use something grey.
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:15 AM   #14
Administrator

You could have a slight cast with an index card (it may not be pure white). I've used all kinds of things in the past in a pinch (for example, dinner napkins have been my WB target on more than one occasion, as have white coffee filters). But, I've never tried an index card.

You can buy a Photographic Gray card from most major photo dealers, and there are all sorts of customized solutions around, too. For example, you can buy cards that are designed to give you cooler or wamer colors like these:

http://www.studio1productions.com/warmcards.htm

Using a Pringles Potato Chip lid used to be another way of setting it (placing it in front of the lens while pointing the camera at the light source and caputuring the WB target seemed to work well). But, they changed from a translucent gray to a clear lid on them. Darn it (I misplaced my Pringles lid a while back and I haven't found any old cans that still had the gray lid in stores since I misplaced it). They should realize that we need the gray lids to set WB. lol

The ExpoDisc system works on a similar concept (only costs a while lot more than a can of Pringles and you don't get the Potato chips):

http://www.exposdisc.com

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:19 AM   #15

i use a sigma 70-200 1:2.8 for indoor basketball mainly

i run 400 -800 asa

sony alpha..

no problems

just dial in the lighting manualy by k value
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:26 AM   #16

AND THIS IS MORE THAN 75 % CROPPED
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:35 AM   #17
Administrator

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
i use a sigma 70-200 1:2.8 for indoor basketball mainly

i run 400 -800 asa

sony alpha..

no problems

just dial in the lighting manualy by k value
If you tried to do that in the lighting he was shooting in, you'd be down to shutter speeds slower than 1/100 second for the same exposure brightness at ISO 800, even adjusting for the calibration differences (the Sony is about 1/3 stop more sensitive than you dial in). Even if you used the same 50mm lens and shot at f/2.2 like he's doing, you'd still have shutter speeds slower than 1/200 second at ISO 800 (which means for more photos with motion blur unless you catch the players when they're relatively still).

You might get away with that setup at a well lit NBA game. But, judging from the photos I've seen of HS games posted in the forums, you'd need a better solution.

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:39 AM   #18
Administrator

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
AND THIS IS MORE THAN 75 % CROPPED
And you've got light pouring in through windows in the daytime.

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:44 AM   #19

SHE SHOOTS

IT'S

IT'S

Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:46 AM   #20

I OWN THE 5D BEFORE THIS ALPHA...I GET BETTER PICS WITH LESS LIGHT THAN THE 5D DID