Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:49 AM   #21

I SHOOT EVERYTHING AT WIDE OPEN..2.8...IT KILLS MY DEPTH BUT HEY....

I CAN USAULLY GET 160 OUT OF IT AT 400 ....BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE KIND OF LIGHTING........BUT WITH DIGITAL WHO REALY CARES IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MANIPULATE IT...I HAVE PULLED GREAT PICS OUT OF BLACK...
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:51 AM   #22

AS FOR SOME BLUR THATS WHAY MAKES SPORT PICS LOOK REAL
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:12 AM   #23

Guys, thanks for all the advice I will try the custom white balance thing. If its not going to make that big of difference between the two cameras there no need in upgrading to the 7D.

Thanks Again

Stoltzy
stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 2:28 PM   #24

if you do lots of cropping go for it

i did and i'm not sorry...that and i sold my 5 for almost as much..lol....just take a sheet of the lowest prices to bb..they will price match
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:17 AM   #25
Super Moderator

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
i use a sigma 70-200 1:2.8 for indoor basketball mainly

i run 400 -800 asa

sony alpha..

no problems
If you are always shooting with loads of ambient light from a big window that is really going to help but in the first pic posted you are still well under exposed (Exif is not there so can't see the settings for that one). With all sports you need to have the skin exposed properly so settings like that would not cut it unless you are in the brightest of gyms.

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
BUT WITH DIGITAL WHO REALY CARES IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MANIPULATE IT...I HAVE PULLED GREAT PICS OUT OF BLACK...
Really would depend on what you are looking to do with the shots....... A shot that is exposed correctly out of the camera is going to give a lot better finished result than one you have to do a vast amount of editing on.

In your 2nd photo there is a lot of motion blur so I don't think you are getting a fast enough shutter speed to nail the shot. General consensus is f2.8 is not bright enough for indoor sports which is a pain as I don't at the moment have anything brighter in my kit, but it is on the wish list.

Getting back to Stoltzy's question, no, in your situation I don't think making the change is worth it. I would stay with what you have for now and see what Sony decide to do with their next camera. Personally I decided to switch to Canon due to the amount of sport I shoot as I wanted 5 fps, better high ISO results, faster AF (not sure if I'm correct but when I used the 7D all of my lenses seemed to focus faster than with my 5D so that might be a reason to look at changing) and more lens selection geared towards sports shooting. There was a huge cost involved in changing manufacturers needing to buy basically new everything so for most people again I wouldn't suggest going down that route either unless you don't have many lenses and you are sure such a radical change is going to make a large difference.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:57 AM   #26

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You could have a slight cast with an index card (it may not be pure white). I've used all kinds of things in the past in a pinch (for example, dinner napkins have been my WB target on more than one occasion, as have white coffee filters). But, I've never tried an index card.

You can buy a Photographic Gray card from most major photo dealers, and there are all sorts of customized solutions around, too. For example, you can buy cards that are designed to give you cooler or wamer colors like these:

http://www.studio1productions.com/warmcards.htm

Using a Pringles Potato Chip lid used to be another way of setting it (placing it in front of the lens while pointing the camera at the light source and caputuring the WB target seemed to work well). But, they changed from a translucent gray to a clear lid on them. Darn it (I misplaced my Pringles lid a while back and I haven't found any old cans that still had the gray lid in stores since I misplaced it). They should realize that we need the gray lids to set WB. lol

The ExpoDisc system works on a similar concept (only costs a while lot more than a can of Pringles and you don't get the Potato chips):

http://www.exposdisc.com

Also add this one to the list. Don't know what the warm cards cost but this looks pretty nice and will fold up small.

http://www.balancesmarter.com/

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:56 PM   #27
Administrator

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Also add this one to the list. Don't know what the warm cards cost but this looks pretty nice and will fold up small.

http://www.balancesmarter.com/
I had to chuckle when I watched the video when it talked about forgetting to change your focus from manual back to auto after setting white balance.

I've done that. lol BTW, that is one "trick" if you get an error trying to set a custom white balance... switch from AF to MF and make sure you're target is OOF and it will often set easier with no errors in harsher lighting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:57 AM   #28

If you are always shooting with loads of ambient light from a big window that is really going to help but in the first pic posted you are still well under exposed (Exif is not there so can't see the settings for that one). With all sports you need to have the skin exposed properly so settings like that would not cut it unless you are in the brightest of gyms.

MOST ARE JUST BIG MECURY VAPOR LIGHT LIT ...THE BIG WINDOW IN THAT ONE SHOT IS ONLY ONE GYM...AND IT'S COMMING FROM THE OTHER END THAT DOESNT HELP...2.8 WORKS FOR ME ALL AROUND..160 2.8 400-800 ASA

NO FLASH..IF YOU HAVENT FIGURED THAT ONE ALREADY..LOL
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:13 PM   #29

Are these any good for WB checking? Doubles up as a lens cap too.

from www.enjoyyourcamera.com (a German company). I have bought a few things from them with no problems.

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote