Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:25 PM   #1

I just bought a new Sony A100 and I will be buying some additional lens fairly soon. I have seen on a couple of forums a lens referred to as a beercan. What is it and is it still made? C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:59 PM   #2

The 'beercan' lens is the Minolta 70-210 f4. It is no longer being manufactured (ceased production in the late 1980's).It has a fairly bright f4 aperture throughout it's zoom range and is quite sharp. For it's cost (about $200 used) it is an outstanding lens. It is about the size of a 12 oz beercan, and doesn't change physical size when zoomed, hence 'beercan'.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 2:22 PM   #3

you can pick them up cheap on ebay...25 bucks
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:10 AM   #4

ebay for $25? nowadays? show me please... I would purchase them if available.

Recently, Ive searched ebay for this and only saw them for over $100.

But Mercury's right. Heres a sample: http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Maxxum-7...QQcmdZViewItem

vclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:56 PM   #5

ONE JUST SOLD 2 DAYS AGO WITH A CAMERA FOR 27 BUCKS...YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO SHOP
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:46 PM   #6

Yeah, that's the way to go. Look under the film camera listings and look closely at the included lenses. A lot of the sellers don't knowwhat some of the lenses go for.I just scored a Maxxum 7000 with the Minolta 50mm f1.4 lens in great condition for just over $100. That lens alone goes for about $250 to $300 by itself.

I am also scouting for the beercan to compare it to my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f2.8-4 which seems to have trouble getting the focus right on in lower light conditions, resulting in softer pictures. I got a bid on one up to $100. That's the most I am going to pay.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7

It's true if you've got no need to have a specific lens in any kind of time frame. A 70-210 f4 for under $30 isn't a deal you're going to come across very often. ( I've never seen one go for under $50 myself, though I am not in the market for that lens) If he's looking for a 50mm prime or a 35-70f4, that's a pretty good way to go- there are a ton of those being sold on the 35mm bodies for cheap. There is also one other caveat to buying from people who don't know what they're selling- they don't know what they're selling. The aperture could be bad, the lens could have fungus or scratches.... I've only had 2 bad lenses off Ebay, both were on lenses that were quite a bit cheaper than they should have been (one was on a body). Don't get me wrong, you can get a great deal sometimes but it's not all a bed of roses.

For the next few weeks, pardon my spelling and grammar. I am on a laptop and am not used to the small keyboard.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:36 AM   #8

True, there is always a risk, but if the seller has 100% positive feedback or close to it, they will generally make sure you are happy and accept a return on sub-par quality items.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:35 PM   #9

260079030413 GOOD DEAL..... SO FAR..LOL
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:22 PM   #10

MORE LIKE THE SIZE OF A FOSTER BIG CAN I THINK...IT DOES GET LONGER WITH THE FOCUS ABOUT 5/8 "