Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Greetings,

This is my first post on this or any other forum. I've been experimenting with point and shoot cameras for years (Minolta Z1, Sony DSC-V3, Fuji F30) and my interest in the photo hobby has grown over time. I've decided that sometime in the next few months I'll be goingfora DSLR. I've been following the DSLR camera business for about a year now, reading every day these forums and websites, trying to get the best bang-for-buck in my initial investment and as soak up as much wisdom as I can from all of you veterans. For a while I wassold onPentax, then Olympus, but I've finally warmed up to the idea of getting a Minolta Maxxum 7d. I have many reasons for this, including the external switches, high ISO, PRICE, Anti-shake, etc. but the #1 reason is because of the decision to go with Minolta lenses. I'm just confused about one thing.

Why are Minolta lenses so inexpensive?

Is this because the autofocus motor is in the camera and not the lenses? I realize that the real investment with a DSLR is the lenses and not the body per se. As far as I know, Minolta lenses are universally considered good to excellent. But when I did the math of say, a Pentax DSLR, and then added the lenses that I would likely want in 6 months...I noticed that the high quality lenses ran $400-$700 and up from there. And that'sPentax!By comparisonthe Minoltas seemed much less expensive, especially by comparison to the higher-end Canons and Nikons.

Am I dreaming, or is this true? And I'm curious...why is this the case?

Thanks!

Paul Schuyler

pfschuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:25 PM   #2

Thanks for pointing it out, we will contact our Marketing Department and have them adjust the pricing of our lenses to make us market compatible.

Manager
SONY/Minolta Marketing and Pricing Division
JAPAN
VPiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:17 PM   #3

I would say it is in part because for every lense Cannon makes they also have it in an L version. Which would be the Nearly Perfect version at least optically speaking.

At the moment there are only one or two Monolta/Sony G lenses out there and they are priced up there with the high end Nikon and Cannon glass.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:19 PM   #4

he he, ha ha, ho ho.................................the're coming to take me away..........................he he, ha ha, ho ho

:homey:
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the note from the Sony guy. What I meant to say was "damn Sony, you must really slash the prices of your lenses or I'll have toswitchto Cannon. Damm, damn, damn, I've had enough (-PRO PHOTOGRAPHER)." :--;

In serious...optically speaking, how would you say the Minolta lineup of lenses compares to those of Canon, Nikon and Pentax? Is there some place to get a full picture of the Minolta lens lineup (high end vs low end)? I've checked out various camera stores but it seems any one source only has a small stock. I'm looking to get the big picture first, then hone in on the lenses I might want.

Reviews maybe? Are there any special review sites for Minolta lenses out there? What stores do you guys typically buy from? What about older lenses, I'm interested in optical quality first...and automatic focus second. If I wanted to get say, a fast wide angle prime lens of very high quality, where would I find that? There must be a giant repository of older Minolta lenses out there somewhere. I'll bet I could randomly raid urban garages and find them easier then I can on the net or at the camera stores!

Paul S.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:18 PM   #6

I think Minolta has a really good choice of lenses. Why don't you try Sigma or Tokina who make a good selection. :-)

Check here for a list:

http://www.dcviews.com/lenses/Minolta-lenses.htm
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:57 PM   #7

Go here to read what people think of their Minolta lenses.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:33 PM   #8

Great, thanks for both of those sites. That pretty much fills up what I need. The firstsite is great to get an idea of the entire lineup (minus the 3rd party lenses, which I'm skittish about), and the second site is great for the user reviews.

I always trust multiple user opinions over technical reviews.

Paul S.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:24 AM   #9

Look here for body, lens and lfash data for Minolta Maxxumlenses.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/bodies.php
cope is offline   Reply With Quote