Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:41 PM   #81

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
i watch your photos and wonder when i would reach that caliber

i change lenses like underwear, and wonder if what i have is all i really need

keep up the good shooting
Hi!

Thank you so much...today you "Make my Day"

So for you another photo from the same day session

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:54 AM   #82

Hello again my lovely KM Minolta/Sony owners & fans!

Just finish to admired, my 15 years vintage Minolta (Made in Japan), 24-85mm zoom lens for an a film body camera, hard to believe that today's newer "DX" zoom lenses are capable of such "Highly Quality"...that the earlier for film bodies all glass ones...or I'm wrong?:idea:

Look the "Highly Quality" results obtained/prevailed:P

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:00 AM   #83

My dear Folks!

Sorry...can't sustain myself to show you from the same folder another example!

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:28 AM   #84
Administrator

Great Images Alex.

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is a favorite of mine, too. It's on my camera most of the time.

Here is a recent shapshot using it that I call "Sun on Dark River". :-)

Taken from the banks of the Ogeechee River in Guyton, Georgia at around 4:00PM in the afternoon:

Shot in raw and converted with digiKam version 0.9.0 using the AHD ((adaptive homogeneity-directed) algorithm, setup to try and retain most highlight detail.

I've got to use my 100mm f/2 this morning though (super lens for low light). My brother-in-law asked me to take some snapshots of grandkids playing basketball this morning (3 different games), so I'll need a fast lens for it (these are indoor games).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:45 AM   #85

Dear Jim,

Your posted "Silluette" river + trees trying to "Conserve the Highlights"...sorry my dear Jim...don't show me all the trees details...TO MUCH darkness...only the sun & sun reflexion on the water is good. Again my dear Jim, sorry for be so honest with you...but we are photographers NOT from yesterday...I'm right?:?

Yes for shoot sport inside you MUST a fast lens & your 100mm F:2 will be capable to solve your problem...but you will MUST USE a higher ISO...at least 800 ISO...trying to fill the frame for minimize any crop after. & maybe with the help of "Neat Image" for lower the "Noise/Grain"...only IF...you will need to make a big print.

Please, my dear Jim, don't hesitate to show us at least one of the shoots that you make

Good luck!!!

Peace,

Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:53 AM   #86
Administrator

I liked the darkness. :-)

I've got lots of shots from the river that are not dark. That one was interesting to me because it's a bit different compared to most that I take.

I picked that one from about 50 that I took of that same scene that afternoon.

It prints quite well (better than on screen). I've already made multiple larger prints from it.

Here's another recent snapshot taken with the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (same river, same raw converter).

I took this one while walking down by the river on Monday.

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:02 AM   #87
Administrator

An older one using the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:02 AM   #88

My dear Jim,

Now for me it's OK

So now that I really love the dog waking on the river, I decided to attach another example of our lovely vintage lens...,which both love so much

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:32 AM   #89
Administrator

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Yes for shoot sport inside you MUST a fast lens & your 100mm F:2 will be capable to solve your problem...but you will MUST USE a higher ISO...at least 800 ISO...trying to fill the frame for minimize any crop after. & maybe with the help of "Neat Image" for lower the "Noise/Grain"...only IF...you will need to make a big print.
The 100mm f/2 will work fine in low light (it's the best lens I've got for that purpose).
I haven't seen the gym yet. So, I don't know how the lighting will be.

I'll bring along a few lenses and play it by ear. I'll probably shoot at ISO 1600, depending on what kind of shutter speeds I'm getting.

If light is *real* good, I may try some shots with the 135mm f/2.8, also.

If not, I'll stick to the 100mm f/2 (it's a sharper lens and it has an extra stop of brightness).

I may bring the Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 along, too. It's not in the same league with the 100mm f/2 for AF speed in low light and sharpness wide open, though.

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:43 AM   #90

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
The 100mm f/2 will work fine in low light (it's the best lens I've got for that purpose).
I haven't seen the gym yet. So, I don't know how the lighting will be.

I'll bring along a few lenses and play it by ear. I'll probably shoot at ISO 1600, depending on what kind of shutter speeds I'm getting.

If light is *real* good, I may try some shots with the 135mm f/2.8, also.

If not, I'll stick to the 100mm f/2 (it's a sharper lens and it has an extra stop of brightness).

I may bring the Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 along, too. It's not in the same league with the 100mm f/2 for AF speed in low light and sharpness wide open, though.

Yes Jim, I agreed...also if you will use ALL THE TIME...the wide stop per example F:2 with your superbly 100mm medium telephoto lens. the depth & field will be extremely short...so; extremely accurately focus is imperative...:idea:. Maximum...if you want or intend to use the Tamron zoom go up till 3200 ISO...better to obtain good shoots & after that; you may/might decide how to improve the image with "Neat Image" or other similarly program to reduce the "Noise/Grain"...again please, do not hesitate to show us your results

Good luck!

Peace,