Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:55 PM   #1

is the quality of the 1.4 worth the extra price over the 1.7

or is the quality of t he 1.7 excellent
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:07 PM   #2

the 1.7 is by far the best bang for your buck. Personally, I don't think the 1.4 is worth the extra $. Just my 2 cents...
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:12 PM   #3

thanks your 2 cents just saved me $100.00
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:24 PM   #4

Have'nt personally tried the new Sony, but from what I'm hearing it's performance is outstanding. Far better then the old 1.4RS.

It's supposed to be an equal to the 85mm 1.4 G Din performance but alot cheaper.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Have'nt personally tried the new Sony, but from what I'm hearing it's performance is outstanding. Far better then the old 1.4RS.

It's supposed to be an equal to the 85mm 1.4 G Din performance but alot cheaper.

Actually, the specs for the KM 50mm f1.4 []http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/camera-pus/slr/lens/spec.html] and the Sony 50mm f1.4 []http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=9u0sPoWJx70tF8A11skmNcqGkxAZC51VfTw=?Cat egoryName=dcc_DIDigitalslrCameras_lenses_StandardM ediumTelephoto&ProductSKU=SAL50F14] are identical in all respects except weight. The KM weighs 8-5/16 oz. while the Sony weighs 7-3/4 oz. (Maybe KM used a metal housing but Sony uses a plactic housing.)

The KM 50mm f1.4 is an outstanding lens, one of several that Sony is just rebranding. Sony's new lenses from Zeiss have a "Z" suffix on the model number.

But I agree that the 50mm f1.7 is a very good lens, andat less than half the price.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6

I don't know, like I said I've never tried one. Im guessing that Sony is probably using a digital coating or something a little different then the RS version. It also has a better hood.

You really can't go wrong with either one.
I paid $35 for my 1.7. You can't beat that value.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote