Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:15 AM   #1

I am confused about this...in one article I read, it said it was the only dslr that one could use to record a image...but, now can't find anything on it. I do not like the idea of 'having' to have use the viewfinder all the time...have gotten used to my digitals and their LCD.

So, can the Alphas LCD be used for record as well as playback?

If not, why?
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:29 AM   #2

I am not a lecturer

this link will lead you to a page with detailed explanation

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera1.htm

Short answer to your question is NO.

Besides of innovatine (and impractical) OLY model SLR do not do preview on LSD
they use OVF instead
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 3:59 PM   #3
Administrator

No.

You've got a mirror in the light path with a DSLR (the reflex part) that flips out of the way when you take the photo. The benefit of that approach is that you see what the lens sees with a DSLR type camera, since you've got a true TTL (through the lens) optical viewfinder, thanks to mirrors redirecting the image into the viewfinder. The downside is that you don't get a live feed (with very few exceptions) since the mirror is blocking the light path to the sensor.

IOW, you do not have a live feed to the LCD with the Sony DSLR-A100. The LCD is used for playback only.

You may have been thinking about the Sony DSC-R1. It's not a true DSLR (no mirror or Through the lens optical viewfinder). But, it does offer a live feed to the EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) and the LCD.

The distinction with this model is that it has a sensor that is much larger than most other non-DSLR models. It's lens is fixed (not removable as you'd have in a camera like the Sony DSLR-A100). But, it offers relatively good range with a high quality image from it's sensor. It's a discontinued model now. But, you can still find them from time to time if you're a good shopper.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/r1.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:28 PM   #4

Is S_grins saying that the Olympus DSLR's come with a sample of LSD, cause that feature makes sense if they expect you to pay for those 4/3 lenses.

On the serious side,I do remember readingan article a few months back on how this trend is very likely to change in the near future. The number of people put off by shutter lag and other small but notable deficiencies in digicams is growing and they're willing to shell out more dough for DSLR's. But they're also not going to want to give up the lazy life and are going to want DVF's as well as OVF's on their DSLR's. lol, I am so lazy with my p&s that I bought one completely lacking an OVF. I don't miss it a bit. I haven't found a situation too bright or dim for it's use, though I can imagine situations where it may be distracting. I normally just bring a different camera if I think that's going to be an issue.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 8:01 PM   #5

You obviously do not live where the sun is extremely bright, otherwise you would not be so happy without an OVF. Here in Thailand, the noon day sun is directly overhead and it does wash out the LCD and even the EVF on my R1 is hard to see properly.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 5:28 PM   #6

Obviously.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:06 PM   #7

:|
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:07 PM   #8

WE LIVE ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE WORLD..LOL:roll:
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:12 AM   #9

Thanks all for the information.

I was so 'used' to using a viewfinder way back in 35 days...now, after 8 years with digital, have become used to having a good sized LCD...also, am older and like a large LCD.

In sunny CA we do get sun at noon...and, yes, do hate that it can be difficult, not impossible, to see the LCD...Hoodmans online catalog of some great sun shades and hoods for cameras are wonderful...one I have made my Sony DSC 717 small LCD (1.8) a viewfinder by covering it completely with it's own eyepiece.

I have noticed the viewfinder of the Alpha does not focus clearly for my sight.

Again, thanks again.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:18 AM   #10
Administrator

lisalonewolf wrote:
Quote:
I have noticed the viewfinder of the Alpha does not focus clearly for my sight.
You'll find a diopter adjustment on the top right hand side of the viewfinder. With Autofocus locked on a subject, turn this tiny adjustment wheel until what you are focused on is sharp to adjust the viewfinder to your vision.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote