Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:50 AM   #1

Well, the subject line pretty much says it all. i'm trying to decide what to do for my primary (non-telephoto) lens. Upto this time I've been using the kit lens that came with my 7D (I sold all my old lenses when I thought I never come back to minolta - oops).
So, which would you recomend, a sigma / tamron 28-70mm 2.8 fixed or the minolta 24-105mm ADI?

I like fixed apature lenses, but I've also been pleased with the adi feature on the newer bodies. I also have been a fan of minolta's circular apatures for a while. And the minolta has a little more wide and little more tele.

Which would you use for a walkabout lens? Love to hear all thoughts.
Thrasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:01 AM   #2

You can get the Minolta 28-70 (D) from either B&H or Adorama or the Tamron would probably be the next best thing. They are both f/2.8
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:05 PM   #3

GOT MY SIGMA 2.8 FOR 110 ON GREEDBAY.
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:00 PM   #4

Thrasis wrote:
Quote:
Well, the subject line pretty much says it all. i'm trying to decide what to do for my primary (non-telephoto) lens. Upto this time I've been using the kit lens that came with my 7D (I sold all my old lenses when I thought I never come back to minolta - oops).
So, which would you recomend, a sigma / tamron 28-70mm 2.8 fixed or the minolta 24-105mm ADI?

I like fixed apature lenses, but I've also been pleased with the adi feature on the newer bodies. I also have been a fan of minolta's circular apatures for a while. And the minolta has a little more wide and little more tele.

Which would you use for a walkabout lens? Love to hear all thoughts.
I believe you are talking about the 28-75 f2.8. I have this in the KM as well as the 24-105, and I alternate between the two. Tamron made the KM lens, but many say it is a better quality than the Tamron. I cannot verify this, but I know Canon owners swear by the Tamron 28-75.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:28 PM   #5

I have the Tokina 28-70 f2.8 AT-X, and I find I like it quite a bit. My own style and bias would steer me towards a wider zoom if one was available in f2.8, and I may yet succomb to the urge to spend $700 on the Sony CZ 16-80 even though it is a stop dimmer.

Everybody that has the KM 28-75 f2.8 or it's Tamron equivalent seems to love it. Some claim the KM glass is superior, but I really doubt there is any difference (except for pride). I'm still considering buying one of them, though they've increased in price by $200 since this time last year. (They're $399 now at Adorama, though I cannot personally recommend that retailer I think that is the cheapest price on a new one outside of Ebay.)

Many here are also partial to the KM 24-85 f3.5-4.5, it's not only a bit cheaper, but quite a fine lens optically.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6

the KM 24-105 is a fantastic lens
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote