Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:48 PM   #11

IQ.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:12 PM   #12

The only way I would keep it, is if it was the [RS] or Sony version. Then you would have the circular aperture.

Sell it and use the money for a better lens.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:36 PM   #13

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
The only way I would keep it, is if it was the [RS] or Sony version. Then you would have the circular aperture.

Sell it and use the money for a better lens.
I am ignorant on this. What is the RS version, and what does the circular aperture do?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:26 AM   #14

I'll try to explain.

This lens has 7 aperture blades. They are polygonal blades which form a hexagonal opening which is not preferable for good bokeh. It creates a more distracting background.

The [RS] or new Sony version has 7 circular aperture blades which form a circular opening which give you rounded highlights in the out of focusarea of your photo as opposed to hexagonal highlights in the out of focus area of your photo.

Here's an old thread that discusses the difference in blade shapes.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...0040Qd&tag=
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:47 AM   #15

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
This lens has 7 aperture blades. They are polygonal blades which form a hexagonal opening ...
A hexagonal opening has six sides. Seven aperature blades form a heptagonal opening.

The point is that, whenany lens is wide open it will produce a regular bokeh (within the limitations of the lens design), but when it is closed down a little (1, 2, maybe 3stops), objects outside the depth of fieldblur in the shape of the opening through the aperature blades. If the blades are straight, then the bokeh has straight sides, and the more blades, the more round the bokeh is. If the blades are curved, then the bokeh is that much more round.

Bokeh isn't new. The Nikkor 5cm f2.0 lens on my Nikon S Rangefinder camera (circa 1950) has 10 curved aperature blades, and has an almost perfectly circular opening throughout its range. What is new is that someone came up with a word for it, and now that "Bokeh" has entered the popular lexicon, it has become the be-all-and-end-all buzzword in photographic circles.

I'll take brightness, sharpness and contrast over bokeh any day.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:24 PM   #16

Got it. In my opinion, the bokeh issue is overrated. I got nice, smooth bokeh on all my lenses. I am more concerned about sharpness, clarity, and color rendition. But thanks for clarifying the issue.

Rainer
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:04 PM   #17

Personally I would sell the 1.4 and run with the money! But, I'm perfectly happy with 1.7! It takes beautiful pictures and excellent focusing.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:20 PM   #18

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Personally I would sell the 1.4 and run with the money! But, I'm perfectly happy with 1.7! It takes beautiful pictures and excellent focusing.
I am leaning in that direction. thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:47 PM   #19

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
I'm perfectly happy with 1.7! It takes beautiful pictures and excellent focusing.
I agree. I also have a 1.7 and am very pleased with it. But I'm an availaible light photographer, and Iwould enjoy having the extra 1/2 stop to play with.

I'm not going to go out and buy one. (I have a wife to answer to.)(Chickenhawk: Yes, just one.) But if I already had both, I'd be using the 1.4.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:59 AM   #20

I have a wife to answer to

YOU TELL:lol::|
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote