Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:18 PM   #1

on E Bay i keep seeing a .42 fisheye HD 2 lens which you attach to the front of your existing lens

has any one tried this lens, if so can you give me some detail on its performance, quality etc

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:56 PM   #2

See http://photonotes.org/reviews/fisheye-adapter/
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3

thanks for the info. that has to be the worst review i have ever read,

but a 16 mm fish eye lens on a digital camera , would it still be a fish eye lens or would it become a ultra wide lens:?
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:06 PM   #4

"Fisheye" is a technical term for which there is no clear definition. The effect that superwide-angle lenses have is a genuine representation of the scene, but because it is reproduced on a 2 dimensional photo, it looks distorted.

Suppose you were standing within 10 feet of the middle of a 100 foot fence. If you took a picture of the middle of the fenceusing a normal lens, the fence would appear straight and horizontal. If you took a picture, from the same vantage point,of the left end of the fence, the bottom and top of the fence would appear straight but angled toward the vanishing point (the hypothetical point at which parallel lines seem to meet somewhere off in the distance.) If you did the same for the right end of the fence, you would get the same straight lines angled toward the vanishing point on the other side. If you placed those three photographs side-by-side, you would get all straight lines, but the entire image would be a distortion of its true shape. If you used a superwide angle lens to take a single photo of the entire length of the fence, it would show a true view of the fence, but because it is printed on a flat piece of paper, it looks distorted, but it really isn't. We just perceive it to be distorted because we're not accustomed to seeing it like that

A number of manufacturers have produced superwide-angle lenses that optically correct for this "Fisheye" effect, but others have not. So you really can't say that a certain focal length is the dividing line between a fisheye lens and a wide-angle lens. Fisheye lenses are those lenses that make straight lines look curved as they pass through the field of view, but all lenses that show straight lines as straight are really distorting them in order to do it.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:35 PM   #5

ALL THOSE ADD ON LENSES ARE JUNK........
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:52 PM   #6

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:
ALL THOSE ADD ON LENSES ARE JUNK........
Would that encompass filters and close-up lenses too? Granted, with each additional optical element, the potential for flaws multiplies, but there are those that some of us are willing to accept.

The purpose of this particular add-on lens is to have fun, not to make poster sized prints. While I can think of better ways to have fun, I don't see the attraction of snowboarding either, but I have to abmit that lots of people seem to have fun doing it.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:10 PM   #7

THEN HAVE FUN:|
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote