Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:44 PM   #11

rduve wrote:
Quote:

Wow, sounds like I got lucky then, being one of the last ones to have this fixed. What do you mean by "They are offering cash or A-100." They wouldn't exchange the KM5D for an A100? Or would they? If so, maybe I didn't luck out.

In any case, they did a fine job on my KM5D. Not only did they replace the shutter mechanism to handle the "First Black Shot" issue, they seem to have replaced the LCD as well, which had a few scratches on it, and per the work order, they apparently also overhauled the AS mechanism. My camera is like new. But if I could get it exchanged for a new A100 I'd definitely take it.

Rainer
Rainer, I think it depends on what you paid. Remember that some folks bought their 5D/7D at the original prices. I paid less for my 5D and 7D than some paid for the 7D alone.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:02 PM   #12

Since I bought my camera refurbished from ebay, I don't think I'd be eligible for such a deal, plus now it is fixed anyway and I am quite happy with it.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:57 PM   #13

cope wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Wow, sounds like I got lucky then, being one of the last ones to have this fixed. What do you mean by "They are offering cash or A-100." They wouldn't exchange the KM5D for an A100? Or would they? If so, maybe I didn't luck out.

In any case, they did a fine job on my KM5D. Not only did they replace the shutter mechanism to handle the "First Black Shot" issue, they seem to have replaced the LCD as well, which had a few scratches on it, and per the work order, they apparently also overhauled the AS mechanism. My camera is like new. But if I could get it exchanged for a new A100 I'd definitely take it.

Rainer
Rainer, I think it depends on what you paid. Remember that some folks bought their 5D/7D at the original prices. I paid less for my 5D and 7D than some paid for the 7D alone.
I guess that screws me on one of the 5Ds I bought for 265 dollars from a Circuit City display. It will be much cheaper for them to refund me than to give me an Alpha. Actually it would probably be cheaper to refund me evne if they had the parts. Guess I just waited too long, although the black frame only actually happened once and that was months ago and hasn't happened since I tried JimC's trick opf cleaning the contacts and excerzicing the shutter about a thousand times.

I also noticed a black frame for the first time on my 7D after letting it sit for a long time ina cold room. Never had aproblem with it before and letting sit like that, I'm sure the battery was weaker than usual so that may have been a contributing factor. I did not get an ERR message like I did on the 5D. I paid 949 for that 7D with a 28-75mm D lens. They priced the 7D just under 700 on the receipt. I think I'd be willing to take an Alpha for it since I have a brand new sitting in the box, but I'mnoteven sure Ihave a real black frame issue. With the new Alphas coming out, I think it's time tostart selling off some of my existing bodies.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:40 PM   #14

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I also noticed a black frame for the first time on my 7D after letting it sit for a long time ina cold room. Never had aproblem with it before and letting sit like that, I'm sure the battery was weaker than usual so that may have been a contributing factor. I did not get an ERR message like I did on the 5D.
I had the same experience with my 7D, and the battery was low at the time. Lower than normal voltage can play havoc with electronics. I didn't have the ERR either.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:29 PM   #15

I am definitely happy I sent it in. Looking at the work order, Precision not only replaced the shutter mechanism, but also the AS system, and the LCD. They pretty much refurbished the whole camera at no charge. Can't complain.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:27 PM   #16

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

I also noticed a black frame for the first time on my 7D after letting it sit for a long time ina cold room. Never had aproblem with it before and letting sit like that, I'm sure the battery was weaker than usual so that may have been a contributing factor. I did not get an ERR message like I did on the 5D.
I had the same experience with my 7D, and the battery was low at the time. Lower than normal voltage can play havoc with electronics. I didn't have the ERR either.
Did you bother to get it fixed?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:29 PM   #17

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I am definitely happy I sent it in. Looking at the work order, Precision not only replaced the shutter mechanism, but also the AS system, and the LCD. They pretty much refurbished the whole camera at no charge. Can't complain.
That seems odd that they replaced the AS and the LCD. Maybe they broke it duirng repair.. LOL or maybe they are trying to drum up the charge to Sony.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:39 PM   #18

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
That seems odd that they replaced the AS and the LCD. Maybe they broke it duirng repair.. LOL or maybe they are trying to drum up the charge to Sony.
I think it is the latter.