Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:07 AM   #1

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/informat...202/01_en.html

I think this means they will now repair them out of warranty. Not sure if they require a receipt, but it might be worth looking into for those of you that have the problem..
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2

I used to have the first shot black problem, now I have the dead camera problem with my 5D. I had just sent in a support reqest and then I noticed this. I will call first thing Monday to see what they say. Maybe they will just replace the camera? Or id this wishfull thinking?

Jim
Quielo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:18 AM   #3

I don't think they will replace the camera since there seems to be parts available. Someone said they are also refunding anyone who paid for this repair out of warranty, but I'm not sure it's true.

In any event, it is great news overall since it lifts a tremendous burden off of our shoulders.I have 2 each7D and 5D and had beeen considering getting rid of some them before the warranties expired sincea couple of them don't get much use and it is doubtful I will experiance the problem under warranty. Now it doesn't matter and this should help them to retain the used value of the cameras.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4

Thanks to meanstreak, I got hold of this info. I sent myKM5D in to Precision on February 21st. They received it on the 23rd, then there were a few days delay because they had to order the parts. Today I received the camera back and they fixed it perfectly. Also cleaned it up andchecked all other functions. Looks almost like new. All the while I could check the progress on their website, including the tracking of the shipment. Precision did a great job and they honored the recall without charging me, although my camera was more than a year old.

Definitely send it in if you have this issue, they'll take care of you.

While waiting, I experimented with some film photography and some black and whites. Was fun to get back to the basics, but I am glad I got my KM5D back.

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5

Wasn't your 5D an out of warranty refurb? Or was that some one else? I ask because I have an out of warranty 7D
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 PM   #6

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Wasn't your 5D an out of warranty refurb? Or was that some one else? I ask because I have an out of warranty 7D
Correct, I bought my camera as a refurb in Feb of 06 with a 6-months warranty. Sony does not handle this as a warranty issue but as a manufacturer's defect which is not subject to warranty terms.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:23 PM   #7

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Sony does not handle this as a warranty issue but as a manufacturer's defect which is not subject to warranty terms.
Cool because my 7D just did it to me Saturday morning at my daughters Baptism. I was miffed but remembered this post. I'll have to call Sony tomorrow.

Maybe they'll clean my sensor while they'er at it. Assuming they don't replace it.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:35 PM   #8

Just go to their website, register for a repair ticket, and print out a copy of their own announcement regarding this issue (see meanstreak's link above). I included a copy of my receipt (a printout of the ebay auction), but I don't think they even require it for this repair.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:16 AM   #9

Unfortunately, what we hear from DPR and Dyxum is that Precision/Sony are now claiming no more parts to fix this issue. They are offering cash or A-100.A-100
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:44 AM   #10

cope wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, what we hear from DPR and Dyxum is that Precision/Sony are now claiming no more parts to fix this issue. They are offering cash or A-100.A-100
Wow, sounds like I got lucky then, being one of the last ones to have this fixed. What do you mean by "They are offering cash or A-100." They wouldn't exchange the KM5D for an A100? Or would they? If so, maybe I didn't luck out.

In any case, they did a fine job on my KM5D. Not only did they replace the shutter mechanism to handle the "First Black Shot" issue, they seem to have replaced the LCD as well, which had a few scratches on it, and per the work order, they apparently also overhauled the AS mechanism. My camera is like new. But if I could get it exchanged for a new A100 I'd definitely take it.

Rainer