Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

Does anyone have any feedback on this monster? http://cgi.ebay.com/650-1300mm-Lens-...em160080045899. Sure quite a an unbeatable price. Is it a mirror lens? Maybe this has been discussed here previously. Guide me to the right threat if so. Thanks.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2

JUNK....WOULD BE MY GUESS...

VERY DARK LENS.NEEDS LOTS OF LIGHT OF ANYTHING MOVING

I HATE PUSH PULL ZOOMS TOO
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3

It being 650-1300 (ecaxtly a 2x lens) I'd have to question whether this was an actual zoom or a 650mm lens and a 2x teleconverter.

Luckily, Cameta is offering it, so you could give them a quick call- I've found them to be quite frank and upfront about their products. ( I think they'll tell you what kind of quality to expect,especially if you imply that there's a chance that you'd buy a better lens if this one wouldn't meet your expectations.)

I can't say that I've seen a ~1300mm lens that is stellar optically, but then your only other option is cropping, which is also 'lossy'. You have to chose your poison if you want to shoot at those distances.

Edit: on the Phoenix website, it offers aperture values for varying focal lengths between 650 and 1300, so it must be a zoom. Samyang is the lens Manufacturer and it is a T-mount lens (manual focus)with a Minolta AF mount. No big deal since at f8-16 you weren't going to have AF anyways, but still worth mentioning. Phoenix lenses are generally on par with Vivitar (often they're exactly the same lens)
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:48 PM   #4

Might be worth trying (I could buy it from the money I am making from the Minolta 50 1.4 that I am selling on ebay) and reviewing it as a service to this community. And from my experience Cameta is very good about taking back unsatisfactory products if it really stinks.

Clearly f8 is not the brightest aperture, but then again I would only want to use it for safari-like shoots, meaning in bright sunlight for which f8 is sufficient. Definitely curious.

The fact that they are on par with Vivitar lenses as you stated is no negative for me. My Vivitar Series 1 100-400 is a jewel (better than its smaller 70-210 sibling)

Here are some samples and a pretty positive review I found on dpreview: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18284841

Rainer

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:55 PM   #5

PERSONALLY I WOULD RATHER USE A MIRROR LENS..
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:00 AM   #6

I BELIEVE THERE IS NO APERATURE ADJUSTMENT ON IT ....THE RANGE THEY QUOTE IS FROM THE MAGNIFICATION TIGHTER.LESS LIGHT...SO AT 1600 IT WOULD ALWAYS BE 16..VERY DARK
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:00 AM   #7

I BELIEVE THERE IS NO APERATURE ADJUSTMENT ON IT ....THE RANGE THEY QUOTE IS FROM THE MAGNIFICATION TIGHTER.LESS LIGHT...SO AT 1600 IT WOULD ALWAYS BE 16..VERY DARK
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:49 AM   #8

I think I pass for now. I barely ever even take out my 100-400 lens or my 2x teleconverter. So, do I really have a need for it? Honestly not. Maybe when I actually will go on that safari shoot one day. But in that case I'd probably invest in better glass anyway. Thanks for your feedback.

Rainer
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:42 AM   #9

good choice.....:|