Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:25 PM   #1

If you have a KM 24-105mm ADI lens, please help me with this question / issue.

I bought a used 24-105mm, and it looks good and autofocuses on my 7D (replacing the kit 28-100mm plastic). But, when I put it into manual focus, it seems really hard to focus.

I am comparing "really hard" to the 28-100mm plastic, a tamron 90mm macro, and a sigma 18-35mm & 70-300mm. Is there something I'm missing? Did I get a bad lens? I only have 7 days when I can return it, so help is appriciated.
Thrasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:18 PM   #2

the 24-105 is a great lens, but something is wrong with the one you have
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:59 PM   #3

So, your's has a smooth focus in manual mode?

Does anyone know where to find a manual for this lens online?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:32 PM   #4

The 24-105 should be as easy to focus as any other lens. It has a clutch that disengages the focus ring when auto-focusing, maybe there is a problem with it. Does the focus ring rotate when you focus?
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:52 PM   #5

Also, does the focus ring rotate freely when the lens is not mounted on a camera?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:03 PM   #6

No, it doesn't rotate too freely when it is not mounted - which is why I felt that there was something wrong with the clutch mechanism.

Well, I am beginning to think that this thing needs looked at. But it focuses on cue in autofocus.

I'm tempted for the price, to keep it and have KEH fix it. What are your thoughts. The glass and outside of this lens are near mint. Only the lens hood has any marks and they are very light. The price was $190. KEH is quoting $45 or so to work on it. So I think a optically great / good looking 24-105mm for $235 isnt too bad.

Also, anyone know of any problems with using this lens as is (autofocus) for a week before sending it out to be fixed? I have a trip coming up and I'l like to have it with me (and KEH can't turn around service fast enough to have it back to me).
Again, as always, your thoughts are appriciated.

Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:21 PM   #7

Does the autofocus motor in the camera seem to be struggling at all when autofocusing? I'd have serious concerns about a tight focus mechanism effecting the body and Sony hasn't made a 7d equivalent yet. If the camera doesn't seem to be having any issues with autofocusing, I'd probably press my luck and use the lens.

Sending it in to KEH isn't a bad plan, the quoted price is fairly low. I think I'd be more inclined to get my money back, or a written commitment from the seller to pay for (at least part of ) the repair. A CLA may not fix this lens, so a $45 estimatecould bepremature. If the focus mechanism has some part failure (most likely from being dropped on its 'nose') it could well cost more to repair the lens than it would to buy another. It is a fine piece of glass though and well worth $235. Does this seller have another lens to offer as a replacement?
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:40 PM   #8

The camera doesn't seem to stress with focus - actually I'm happy how fast it does focus. I've shot a couple of RAW's with it and it appears sharp.

I was suprised that the KEH quote was that low too. But I'm hopeful.
Honestly, it's from an eBayer and I was trying to return it and he's been making excuses. and I don't want to ruin my record for a measly $190.
Funny how much a good record is worth on eBay.

Sometimes when buying used equipment from 3rd parties we get bit.

Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:08 PM   #9

I hope your feedback for this item articulates your disappointment!
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:04 PM   #10

If it's defective and wasn't decribed as such you may be able to get EBAY involved. If you paid with Paypal you can file a dispute. I did it with a Teleconvertor that wouldn't function with certain lenses and it was 3 days past the seller's 7 day return policy. I stated that I didn't have time to check all my lenses and Paypal thought my arguement was reasonable and decided in my favour. Of course if it was sold "as is" they may not be able to help you.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote