Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:01 AM   #1

Just been trying to figure this out....

So is SONY in liew of them actually doing their own thing, just baiing out K/M (for thier name glory), or is there something unique here that actually is SONY?

Just had my moth old Pentax K10D stolen....and considered similar internal IS Sony Alpha.... but then remeber how much I hate proprietary everything SONY.

So again the question... are they just taking over Minolta DSLR's or is there something really unique here?

To late for me, already ordered another Pentax K10D... but just curious of the knowledgable here.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:07 AM   #2

THE NAME.LOL...THE ELECTRONICS

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:02 PM   #3

You know that's a good question. The A100 was definately very heavily based on the 5D. And they supported memory sticks via a CF converter. If they come out with a 7D replacement and it doesn't support CF I'm going elsewhere. I think if they want to be a serious competitor in the DSLR market they'll stay from there traditional proprietary tactics.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:12 PM   #4

Sony had already committed to making Minolta A-mount lenses well before KM announced that they were ceasing production on end user cameras. It's hard to tell whether Sony's commitment to making SLR's has changed since then, but they do seem to be looking well past the entry level A100 with their glass. (they are manufacturing equivalents to the KM G lenses in Sony badging)

It's impossible to say how much of these first generation Sony DSLR's will be derived from KM, since KM's abandoned designs would probably make a pretty good place for Sony to start. I'd personally love to see a KM 9 series equivalent in Sony badging.

I don't think 'bailing out KM' had anything to do with the transaction between Sony and KM. I think KM realized that it simply didn't make enough of its own electronics to make a profit in the consumer camera market and decided to withdraw. Sony on the other hand, has grand illusions of seizing a full 1/4 market share in DSLR's and does produce a great many electronics. (including a lot of other camera manufacturers' imagers) They have the money and vision to make a pretty big impact in the market if they play their cards right. I would bet money that the next Sony DSLR's accept Memory Stick. I just hope that they also accept CF cards.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:46 PM   #5

THEY WANTED TO SELL THEIR OWN BATTERIES..LOL
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
So again the question... are they just taking over Minolta DSLR's or is there something really unique here?
When I heard that Sony was taking over Konica-Minolta, I was disappointed that KM was going away, but thrilled that my camera would soon have CARL ZEISS LENSES!!!

There are 4 companies that make the best lenses in the world: Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and Leica. And now, one of them makes lenses for my camera! (All I need now is to be able to afford one.)

To be sure, the A-100 is a Sony upgrade of the Maxxum 5D, but that doesn't make it any less of a camera in it's own right. I think the A-100 was designedto coincide with the announcement that Sony was taking over KM camera production, more so than the introduction of any fabulously new technology. Sony just used as many of the parts already available for the 5D to develop the A-100. And whatever your reasons for not liking Sony, you must admit that (along with Canon and Panasonic/Leica) they have always made the best video cameras available, in part because of their long association with Carl Zeiss. And now, that long and well deserved reputation is rolling over into the dSLR market.

That is unique and exciting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:32 PM   #7

Newbie here... jumpin' right in anyhow. Sorry if I step on any toes... :-/

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Just been trying to figure this out....

So is SONY in liew of them actually doing their own thing, just baiing out K/M (for thier name glory), or is there something unique here that actually is SONY?

Just had my moth old Pentax K10D stolen....and considered similar internal IS Sony Alpha.... but then remeber how much I hate proprietary everything SONY.

To late for me, already ordered another Pentax K10D... but just curious of the knowledgable here.
Well, the a100 is clearly a new/upgraded/better KM5D (it's very much the camera KM might have put out as the "5Dii" or some such). So, is that "just taking over" or is there something new?

Note that the a100 doesn't take the Sony-proprietary "Memory Sticks," but the industry-standard CF cards (I buy SanDisk). The Sony *does* ship with an adapter (so existing Sony P/S customers (who have $$$ in existing Memory-Sticks) can buy the a100 without flinching over the cost of the memory)...

All in all, the a100 seems no more "proprietary" than most of its competition (Nikon D70/D80, Canon 350D/400D, etc). It seems rather less "Sony-like" in that regard! So far as I can see, the only really "NEW" thing with Sony (as opposed to normal evolution in "State of the Art") is the Zeiss alliance.

- Steve S.

Steve-S is offline   Reply With Quote