Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1

I was on the shuttle van to the port to leave for a cruise, and I thought that the dirty windows of the van were messing with my Maxxum 7D. The focus was not working properly....

When I was out of the van and waiting in line, I tried to shoot some test phots and found that the autofocus was indeed screwed up. Talk about PISSED!

The camera is 11.5 months old.

In the cruise terminal I was able to get a wireless signal and got to the KM support page and called. I was transferred to someone at Sony who was dealing with the KM support issues. I kept describing what I was seeing and how the autofocus was not working and the guy kept telling me that he thought the camera was working properly because the dot on the screen was coming on. I told him there was no confirmation beep and in fact the image was very blurred.

He started on the path that I must have been shooting something with no contrast... I let him know Ive been shooting KM SLRs for man years (about 15) and I knew what the autofocus was supposed to do... and right that second it would not focus on the sign I was pointing at that was white with alot of black letters on it.

Bottom line was I had to send this camera to the company they contracted to do the warranty work in CT. Their webpage is www.precisioncamera .com I don't know if precision camera is doing all of Sony's warranty work, or if they just send the KM's there.

Now I was stuck. I got on the cruise ship and really got more and more mad. Now I was out of options. I could not find a camera store in the phone book for Cocoa Beach..... but someone said there was a circuit city nearby, a 10 minute cab ride. I didn't think they would have the only camera that I could use.. a Sony Alpha.

I called, and whatta ya know, they had 5 of them. I checked off the ship, went thru security and customs, and grabbed a cab. To the store and back in about 30 minutes with my new Sony Alpha.

Its not a bad camera, but I wish they would have based it on the 7D instead of the 5D. I liked the controls and features of the 7D more. I really hate to have to set up some things every time you set up the Sony like ISO and continuous shutter release....

I like the 10MP but now I dont know if Im going to keep my 7D or the Alpha when the KM gets back......
billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:00 AM   #2

billinaz wrote:
Quote:
Bottom line was I had to send this camera to the company they contracted to do the warranty work in CT. Their webpage is http://www.precisioncamera .com I don't know if precision camera is doing all of Sony's warranty work, or if they just send the KM's there.
Precision Camera has been doing all Minolta factory repairs for years. In 1977, they repaired my srT-101 after I left it on the roof of my car and drove off. When I got it back, it was as good or better than brand new.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:37 AM   #3

Bill, Precision is doing a pretty good job with 5D and 7D repairs. You can initiate the repair process online:

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Be sure to keep anything that isn't needed. I shipped mine with only the LCD cover and body cap. The servie form has a place to check off what is with tthe camera. Wrap a copy of the invoice/service paperworkaround the body and put another copy in the box. They turned mine around in 2 days, but it depends on work load, type of repair and parts availability. Good luck!
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4

I just found this out. I guess its a testament to the quality of the Minolta cameras.

The only things left on the camera when I sent it to Precision was the body cap and the LCD cover.

Now I have to try to sell the Sony Alpha when I get the 7D back.........
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:06 PM   #5

I'll have to see how much its worth to someone else. I put a LCD screen protector on it and have 2 Sony brand extra batteries on the way (ordered them before I decided to sell it).

Its a whole 15 days old, and I never even opened the compartment with the lens in it. If I get $700 USD I'd be happy.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Soon after I got my srT-101 back from Precision Camera, I sold it and bought an srT-202.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't sell the 101 because I didn't have faith in the ability of Precision Camera to repair it. On the contrary, since it had been repaired by an actual person, I was confident that it had received more attention than one straight off an assembly line. I sold it because, after seeing how Minolta supports it's customers, I wanted to make an evengreater investment in their products.

The 7D has some stuff that the A-100 doesn't, but the converse is also true. It would be a tough call for me, but I think I'd keep the Sony.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:52 PM   #7

I think the biggest thing for me is that I was comfortable with the controls on the 7D, and I really like the lack of noise compared to the Sony. If Sony made something like the 7D maybe Id go with that.

I used the 3200 ISO for some photos in the dark and they were fine, the 1600 on the Sony wasnt what I was looking for.

Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:17 AM   #8

Oh oh................

I hope this does not turn into an extended delay!.... The first working day with my camera in the shop and I have this status message:

[align=center]Repair is on hold, waiting for parts.
[/align]
Parts Ordered