Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:40 PM   #1

I bought a 433D and a 3rd party shoe adapter to use it on my Maxxum 5D after reading through a couple of posts in the forums here. The first time I used it I experienced an issue where the flash would not trigger even though the ready light was on and all looked good to go - sometimes it would trigger and sometimes it wouldn't. At first I thought it was because I was in portrait mode and the weight of the flash was causing some issues. However, even in landscape mode the problem persisted. I wondered if anyone else had this issue or knew how to resolve it. I liked the flash - when it worked. Any advice would be great - this is my first post but I've read through other posts here and learned a lot from y'all.

StacyA1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:05 PM   #2
Administrator

If the foot on the flash has extra contacts (other than the one in the center), try taping them over, leaving only the center contact exposed.

I'm using a Sunpak 333 Auto on my 5D with the same third party adapter most people buy from Hong Kong, and it works fine with it. I also have a Sunpak 222 Auto that works fine with it.

These strobes only have a center contact in the middle of the shoe, since they're non-dedicated models. But, some of the D models had extra contacts that could be an issue. I don't know if your 433D falls into this category or not.

It's best to buy a non-dedicated model (like my 222 Auto, 333 Auto, 383 Super and others) without the extra contacts. But, you can tape over any extra contacts that could be shorting out and causing a problem. Make sure it's screwed down snug in the adapter, too (and I'd just leave the adapter on the flash if that's the only flash you're using with it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:06 AM   #3

I looked at my flash and it had three contacts on the bottom, one in the center and two towards one edge of the shoe. I taped off the two and shot a couple of pictures and the flash went off both times. I was thinking about buying a Sunpak PZ5000 AF but ifthe 433Dworks I may just stick with it for now. I haven't found a lot on whether or not the PZ5000 AF is good or not - whereas people seem to love the 433D.

Thanks!

Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Administrator

AFAIK, the *only* dedicated Sunpak model that will work correctly with your A100 is likely to be the Sunpak PZ40x. But, I haven't seen a lot of posts from other users trying one yet.

See this thread for more details:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

You'd be using the 433D as a non-dedicated strobe, thanks to it's built in sensor that measures reflected light during an exposure. That means you need to use manual exposure on the camera, setting the aperture and iso speed on the camera to match the auto range selected on the flash if you want the flash to provide most of the light (picking a shutter speed that doesn't let too much ambient light in). I generally use a starting point of around 1/100 second or slower with a flash, depending on lighting and lens used.

If you want a flash that's aware of camera settings, you need a dedicated strobe (but, most dedicated strobes designed for Minolta AF cameras will *not* work properly on a KM or Sony DSLR and will always fire at full power). The Sunpak PZ40x appears to be a very rare exception.

For best compatiblity in a dedicated model, I'd go with a Sony HVL-F56AM (rebranded Minolta 5600HS) or Sony HVL-F36AM (rebranded Minolta 3600HS).

Older Minolta flash models will not work properly on a DSLR (for example, a Minolta 5400HS will *not* throttle it's output and always fire at full power). Ditto for the vast majority of third party strobes designed for Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha film models (they won't work properly). That's because the flash systems were redesigned for digital and need a preflash to judge exposure (because the CCD is too sensitive to meter from during a flash exposure like you could do with film).

If you don't mind the limitation of using manual exposure, you do have the advantage of eliminating the preflash you'd have using a fully dedicated strobe like the Sunpak PZ40x or newer Minolta/Sony strobe (your older Sunpak doesn't need one, since it has it's own built in sensor to control the flash output, based on how much reflected light it sees for the aperture range). That may or may not be a concern to you.

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:21 PM   #5

StacyA1973 wrote:
Quote:
I looked at my flash and it had three contacts on the bottom, one in the center and two towards one edge of the shoe. I taped off the two and shot a couple of pictures and the flash went off both times. I was thinking about buying a Sunpak PZ5000 AF but ifthe 433Dworks I may just stick with it for now. I haven't found a lot on whether or not the PZ5000 AF is good or not - whereas people seem to love the 433D.
I boughtthe PZ5000 for my KM5D four months ago, most of time it works fine, but some time it did not fire even the ready light is ON, I simply turn the flash off and turn it back on and the problem solved. I am going to purchase thededicated model, I'd go with a Sony HVL-F56AM or Minolta 5600HS when I buy a Sony A100 or it's newer model by the end of year. By now the PZ5000 just works fine for me.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:59 PM   #6

Forcing myself to do manual is good practice - and it's not like I'm wasting film. :-)

The only thing about the PZ40x is it doesn't swivel - but I guess if you have a bracket or a diffuser than you can work around not having a flash that swivels...

Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:36 PM   #7

Also forgot to mention - is it just me or is it confusing the way retailers list flash models - like B & H's listing for the PZ5000AF -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

This is why I thought this flashwas fully compatible with the 5D. I guess you need to double-check the manufacturer's site (or forums) to double-check.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:20 PM   #8
Administrator

Minolta flashes (other than the 2500, 5600HS and 3600HS) are not even compatible. That listing says Minolta Maxxum, not Minolta Maxxum DSLR models.

They made Maxxum film models that older Minolta strobes worked with. But, the flash systems were redesigned for digital because you can't accurately meter from a sensor like you could from film (the sensor is too reflective, so more reliance on a preflash is needed).

You've got a number of differences in the way they need to interface to a camera, including handling the zoom head movement because of angle of view differences between a film camera and a DSLR (remember you've got a smaller sensor with a narrower angle of view for a given focal length, and an incompatible flash will assume the coverage is for that focal length on a DSLR), make sure the preflash strength has the proper curve for digital and more.

Even when you find third party strobes that actually seem to work OK for the most part, they tend to have issues (underexposed or overexposed as focal lengths get longer or shorter, not handling bounce versus direct flash properly, etc.).

Most older Minolta strobes designed for Maxxum models will only fire at full power if you try them on a newer Maxxum DSLR. They were designed before these cameras came out. ;-)

According to Sunpak's compatibility charts, the only dedicated flash they make that's compatible with Konnica Minolta DSLR models is the PZ40x. If you get another to work OK, great.

You'll find some models that are supposed to ge compatile with KM DSLR models on this page (and you'll see some user reviews for some). But, just because they are supposed to be compatible doesn't mean that they are. I've seen my share of issues reported with some strobes (Sigmas, etc.).

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp

If I were going to spend the bucks on a more expensive flash (other than inexpensive non-dedicated model like my two current Sunpaks), I'd probably just get a Metz 54 MZ series strobe (or move up to a 75MZ series hammerhead type unit).

But, you'd need to make sure you've got the latest foot with the correct firmware for best compatibility. One of the nice things about these as that the foot is replaceable and upgradeable (in case you wanted to use the same strobe on a different camera model buy getting the correct foot for it, too).

Like the older Sunpak Auto Thyristor strobes (your 433D, 383 Super, etc.), a Metz 54MZ3, 4 or 4i can be used in Auto mode to eliminate the preflash that you'd have with most other dedicated strobes if you have the correct SCA3302 foot (newest firmware is probably the M7 now). But, this Metz unit has the advantage of a built in sensor to measure reflected light (like the old Sunpak models) as well as being aware of your camera settings.

You need to make sure the firmware loaded into the foot (SCA3302) is compatible with the newer models, too (and I've seen some minor issues reported with the older SCA 3302 M5 and M6 versions of the foot with the newer Sony). I'd look for the M7 version to come out and get one with that version of the SCA3302 foot if possible if going Metz.