Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1

Hello group.

I finally hit the 10,000 file mark on my Alpha100.
As I am more used to seeing the filenames on my computer, I expected the counter to go a bit higher than it did before rolling back over to 00001.

The files get stored on my computer with a filename like DSC00001.arw or DSC09999.arw. There are 5 places for numbers.

It seems on the camera there are only 4 places. the photo taken after DSC09999 was named DSC00001 and not DSC10000.

I have made the mistake of cataloging my shots by filename. Now I have two files of the same filename all the way up to the 400's and these duplicate filenames are going to continue growing.

Is there any way to turn on the usage of the 5th digit in the filename when the files are imported or do I have to rename each 2 gig worth of file downloads by hand?

Thanks,
Waz

wazungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
... or do I have to rename each 2 gig worth of file downloads by hand?
Insead of copying the files to your hard drive, you could use IrfanView to rename them as you copy. Not as neat as changing the numbering scheme, but it seems like you will run out of that space fairly quickly even with ten times as much.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3

The KM5D uses filenames in the format PICT#### for everything except Adobe RGB Files (when it uses _ICT####.) Sony probably just changed the PICT to DSC and stuck a zero on the end to make an 8 character filename.

So ...
Quote:
Is there any way to turn on the usage of the 5th digit in the filename ...
... probably not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:33 PM   #4
rey

I hope when you say "by hand", you don't mean manually. I use this utility for general renaming:
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I can't help you with the 9999 mark. I'm also approaching that (currently have 7200) and so far my solution is to rename them using the utility above to add an extra '1' before the default four numbers.

I do have InfranView, but haven't used it much since I installed it. Maybe I'll give that a try.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the link Rey.

I think I could use for something like a batch file renamer.

Waz

wazungy is offline   Reply With Quote