Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:13 PM   #1

Forgot to ask this in an earlier forum:
Is there a cord that allows you to use the 433D off camera (like if you want to use a bracket)? I looked around the forums but didn't see anything like this mentioned...

If not, is there a cord for the Sunpak PZ40x?

BTW, camera is a KM5D.

Thanks.
StacyA1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2

What type of foot do you have on that flash? ISO (original Maxxam style) or iISO (current flash shoe)?

This link may be helpful to you:

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/flashcomp_acc.php

--FrankD

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Administrator

If you've got the same third party adapter that I've got, it's got a PC Sync Port built into it's base. You can see it in the bottom photos on this page:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

See if you have a small socket on one side of foot of your 433D marked Sync (black on black so it's hard to see the text). That's where a PC Sync cord would go.

Here's an example of what you'd need for a Sunpak like my 333 Auto or 222 Auto (and your 433D would likely use the same connections as my Sunpaks).

Sunpak 5 foot coiled Single Pin to PC Male Sync Cord

KEH.com threw in one of these in great shape with a little Sunpak 222 Auto I got from them for $7.95 a while back. The Sync Cord was worth that much. :-)

They make them in a variety of lengths. Here's a shorter 2 foot long coiled cord (I'd suggest a longer one for use with a flip bracket, as that 2 foot length is with the coiled cable stretched):

Sunpak 2 foot coiled Single Pin to PC Male Sync Cord

Using the newer Sunpak PZ40x (which is a dedicated flash) via a cord setup would be more difficult, since it's going to need the information from the camera.

I think you'd need both a Minolta OC-1100 off camera cable and OS-1100 off camera shoe that can work with the cable (I doubt the Sunpak has the right connection for the OC-1100 cable so you'd most likely need an off camera Maxxum shoe, too), and I don't know what Sony equivalent part numbers would be (or how pricey you may find this kind of setup).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4

I do have the third party adapter with the PC sync - bought it off Ebay. When I look at the 433D I see where the cord would attach - there's two pins where the cord would plug in. I'm looking at B&H right now - I didn't even think of looking under Sunpak - I was trying to locate something under Minolta and it didn't even occur to me to look under the flash manufacturer - duh....
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:20 AM   #5

In looking further - I need to take a 2nd look at that flash when I get home because I think what I was looking at is where the battery pack plugs in - oops. Yes, I'm new to the flash accessory world. I've been using a $50 Kodak flash on my camera when necessary and decided I finally needed to step up in order to learn more. Shoes and slaves and triggers, oh my! :?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Administrator

Look on the side of the foot.

On my Sunpak 333 Auto, if facing the back of the flash, it's on the side towards my left arm (on the foot itself) and has a small hole for a single pin type connector with the word sync on top of it (black on black plastic)

The sensor is on the front of the same foot (that's what measures reflected light during the exposure on an older Auto Thyristor type flash, and this sensor is the reason you don't need a preflash like you would using a dedicated flash like the Sunpak PZ40x or any or the dedicated Sony/KM models.

My Sunpak 222 Auto has one in the same spot on it's foot, only I get easy to read white letters on black plastic that read sync.. :-)

It may not have one. But, I'd look for it on the flash somewhere. If it doesn't have a sync port, you can still attach it (you can get a cord that plugs into your adapter's PC Sync port and gives you an off camera ISO Standard hotshoe you could use your Sunpak off camera with).

But, you'd need to make sure the one you got would mount in a shoe on the bracket (or find a shoe for a given bracket model that was hot with a PC Cord connection from the bracket hotshoe to your adapter's PC Sync port). I'd probably just get another Sunpak flash (non-dedicated model versus a D series) that has a sync port if yours doesn't have it. They're dirt cheap on the used market.

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:08 PM   #7
Administrator

By "dirt cheap on the used market", I only spent a total of $48 for the flash system I use on my Maxxum 5D, and that included two Sunpak Auto Flashes and the third party adapter to give my 5D an ISO Standard Hotshoe and a PC Sync Port.. lol

I paid $25 for a Sunpak 333 Auto in 10 (as new in box) condition from the used department at B&H.

I've got a smaller Sunpak 222 Auto I bought for $7 from KEH (and they threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it), and I got my FS-1100 equivalent adapter for $16 delivered from a vendor in Hong Kong (only of course, the third party adapter also gives you a PC Sync Port).
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:08 PM   #8

Do your Sunpaks fall under the dedicated or non-dedicated category?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:22 PM   #9
Administrator

Non-dedicated, just like a Sunpak 383 Super. There are no extra pins on the foot (center pin only) and both of mine have a connection if you want to use them with PC Sync cord (as does the 383 Super).

The specs on my 333 Auto are probably about the same as the specs on your 433D, which are probably about the same as the specs on the 383 Super as far as the rest. My Sunpaks don't have a power connection though.

My smaller Sunpak 222 Auto has tilt (but , no swivel) and two auto aperture ranges, with a GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100. That's the one I got for $7 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

My Sunpak 333 Auto has both tilt and swivel, and it also has a manual zoom head on it (which is optional for some of the other Sunpaks), It's got 3 Auto Aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16). GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (as new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Play with your 433D from the hotshoe, using manual exposure on the camera. Make sure to set your White Balance to match the flash if you're using settings where the flash is providing most of the light (I use 5600 Kelvin with mine). There's a thread around here somewhere with the best tweaks for magenta/green for the Sunpaks, too.

Gettting the best out of these old flashes is an acquired skill. lol I usually let a lot of ambient light into my images, using the flash for a touch of fill. But, I'd use the settings the flash tells you to use as a starting point, and experiment from there to get a better feel for how it works.

Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:45 PM   #10

I don't think my Sunpak has a place where another cord can be plugged in. There's something on the front of the shoe which I'm assuming is the sensor, on the right side there's an A to B switch and on the left side there's something but it's not for a plug. I'm posting a couple of pictures.
Attached Images