Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:25 AM   #21

Today I would say the 28-75 f2.8, 135 f2.8 and 70-210 f4.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:49 AM   #22

rduve wrote

Why aren't you happy with the Tamron 28-300 output? I find it superb. To answer your original question if we leave the Tamron out, which I would have otherwise

i find that the tamron 28-300 focuse is soft,

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:35 PM   #23

Interesting. I did tons of comparison shots side-by-side comparing the Tamron 28-300XR to the KM 28-4 2.8 and the beercan as well as others, and I have not found that to be the case. Here are some of the threads where I posted my findings.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

I am curious to see your comparisons. I have found the Tamron to stand up well to any lens.

Rainer

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:25 AM   #24

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Interesting. I did tons of comparison shots side-by-side comparing the Tamron 28-300XR to the KM 28-4 2.8 and the beercan as well as others, and I have not found that to be the case. Here are some of the threads where I posted my findings.

I am curious to see your comparisons. I have found the Tamron to stand up well to any lens.

Rainer

I too have gotten some mixed results with the 28-300mm Tamron. I won't get rid of it though, especially for the price I paid. It is very versatile as long as I have decent lighting.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:43 PM   #25

There are focusing issues at timesin lower light at the tele-end, simply because of less light transmission. But when the focus is right, the Tamron is quite sharp.

Rainer
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:49 PM   #26

One thing I noticed comparing it to the KM 75-300, which I bought very cheaply going back is that at 300mm the images on the KM are much larger. I think you had a similiar issue when comparing the Tamron to another 300mm lens. It is very sensitive in image size due to focus as usually happens at the long end but I found that all things being equal, I got larger images with the KM.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:58 PM   #27

JimC explained it back then, saying it was inherent in the internal focusing system of the Tamron that it doesn't quite achieve the full 300mm focal length at anything less than infinity. So, the further the subject the more magnification you will actually get. When you zoom in at something just a few feet away, it would max out at approximately 200mm.

Rainer
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:33 PM   #28

I noticed something similiar with the Tamron at close distances
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:47 AM   #29

what i found with the soft focus i ment,

by habit, i usually zoom into a subject, get focus confirmation, while keeping the shutter button half way down,then zoom out compose and take the picture. but i find when i do this with the tamron the pics always comes out a tad out of focus,

i tried using only spot focus, but still get the same results

if i put one subject in the frame at 28 on spot focus an get a focus confirmation, then zoom to 300 i will get another focus confirmation but will actually hear a slight movement in the lens, as if the focusing distance changed and then if i zoom back to 28 again i will hear a slight movement of the lens once again

so i am left to believe that with the tamron its a hit and miss issue

believe you me i have gotten some really sharp pics out of this lens even in low light

and some even in the brightest of sunshine obtained some soft pics as if i was using a diffusion filter which i dont own:?:?:?:?:?
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 9:00 AM   #30
Administrator

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
by habit, i usually zoom into a subject, get focus confirmation, while keeping the shutter button half way down,then zoom out compose and take the picture. but i find when i do this with the tamron the pics always comes out a tad out of focus,
That technique will not work with all lenses. A lens has to be a "Parfocal" design to allow you to change focal lengths without impacting the focus. I don't know if that Tamron would fall into this category or not.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote