Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:57 AM   #1

The search feature here did not come up with past posts so...

Will the a100 work with:
- 28-80mm 7xi kit lens
- 70-210 'beer' lens (my research/past posts say yes)
- 50mm lens
- 3500xi flash (sony site says the wireless will not work but that doesn't imply this flash will work with the camera!)
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:25 AM   #2
Administrator

You posted this in our Konica Minolta Forum in the section for Point and Shoot Digital Cameras.

We have a separate section and forums setup for DSLR models. So, I moved this thread to our Konica Minolta / Sony dSLR Forum

As for your questions, any Minolta Autofocus lens should work fine on a Sony Alpha. You see some compability quirks reported from time to time with a few of the older Sigma lenses. But, most lenses work fine (including most 3rd party Autofocus lenses in Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha mount.

Your flash won't though. It will probably fire (just at full power, which would make it more difficult to control exposure). lol

Flash systems were redesigned for digital, and you'll need to buy a newer model if you want full compatibility.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks Jim. I suppose indoor shots with full flash will be "old school" over-exposed shots then! lol!

It's such a shame that I won't be able to reuse it but at least it'll probably fire.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Administrator

Yea, bounce the flash, set your ISO speed lower and stop down your aperture until you get the exposure the way you want it. Not ideal, but it could work in a pinch. :-)

I went with a third party FS-1100 equivalent adapter (gives you an ISO standard hotshoe) and a couple of non-dedicated Sunpaks for my flash system used with a Maxxum 5D. At least that way, I've got an Auto thyristor type solution (where the flash is controlling it's own output by terminating the flash when it sees enough light for the aperture range selected with it's built in sensor).

It's still not a dedicated solution, and I need to use manual exposure with the camera (setting the aperture and ISO speed to match the selected range on the flash) But, it's inexpensive and workable. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5

I really have to make my way down to a store with my equipment to see if my minolta stuff works with the a100. The more i read about the flaws even using kit lens, etc, the more it's a non-issue for me.

Even if my 28-80mm power-zoom works on the a100, the 1.5x factor will scale things up. This just means I really still need the kit lens and maybe some other lenses...of course later on!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:41 PM   #6

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
The search feature here did not come up with past posts so...

Will the a100 work with:
- 28-80mm 7xi kit lens
- 70-210 'beer' lens (my research/past posts say yes)
- 50mm lens
- 3500xi flash (sony site says the wireless will not work but that doesn't imply this flash will work with the camera!)
All Minolta AF lenses work on the A100. Th 3550xi will trigger but you can't use TTL mode. It will give you full output so you will have to use the camera in manual mode. Onlythe Minolta digital flash units (e.g. 3600HS(D), 5600HS(D) etc) are compatible for the various flash and exposure modes provided by the A100.

The kit lens has a good range but some people are not happy with its sharpness. I use a Tamron 17-50mm to cover focal lengths less than 28mm and am very happy with it. However, it does cost quite a bit more.

If you have other accessories such as a remote release cabble or off camera flash extension cables these also work with the A100.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:09 PM   #7

FrankD,
I notice you're from Ontario. In T.O. there was a huge add from sony:
$100 instant off if u buy their flash.
New lower price on the A100 - $949 for body+lens; $849 or $899(i think??) for body only.

The price is really getting to the amazing level. Soon I'll need to move to an SLR to further my desire to take manual pictures (but 99% on P/Auto mode). That'll be the challenge!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:23 AM   #8

I'm in Ottawa so I didn't see the Sony Ad. They did send me an e-mail about the flash deal. It only applies to the HVL-F36AM. If they offered it for the HVL-F56AM I might go for it. B&H lists the HVL-F56AM for US$309 compared to the C$550 local asking proce.

I bought the body when prices were higher. Oh well, it's only money!

Good luck with your shopping.

--FrankD
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:57 PM   #9

Thanks Frank. Like all gizmos, cameras will only get cheaper and better. It's a matter of deciding when to get on the train because you finally want to get to your destination!

Also, Best Buy is putting it for sale for $919 and combined with a $50 instant off, that makes it $869Cdn. It's still more expensive than for a Canadian to be buying it through the States though (if that were an option).

R u on flickr? U should join the sony a100 group.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:02 PM   #10

EMERGENCY QUESTION!
Two deals:

As stated already
1) BBuy has for $860 the a100 + kit lens (17-70mm)
2) Sony has a battery/bag bundle. For this scenario i might as well buy the a100 body only.

Will there be any issues with using the 28-80mm xi lens with the a100? IS it as good or better than the kit lens? The kit lens is basically worth $100 retail.

I am siding on the body only because the Minolta lenses won't be used at all. That's a bit of a shame.

Please advise!