Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 PM   #11

Color me skeptical...it takes months to take a prototype through to production. This means that anything that's scheduled to come out later this year is already ramping through the early prototype and qualification stages. It would take an active effort to build and show a completely different body to the market at a trade show.

Still, if you guys are right and they produce a full-frame sensor DSLR with 7D-style controls they'll have a great success. But I wouldn't bet on it...
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:37 AM   #12

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
Color me skeptical...it takes months to take a prototype through to production. This means that anything that's scheduled to come out later this year is already ramping through the early prototype and qualification stages. It would take an active effort to build and show a completely different body to the market at a trade show.
You presume that the display model at the show is a step toward the production model. Perhaps it was developed as a concept, and not necessarily for production. Kind of like a show car. And maybe they just threw it together to have something to display. And maybe it's a design that they decided not to use, but they had it, so they showed it.

rsturgill wrote:
Quote:
Still, if you guys are right and they produce a full-frame sensor DSLR with 7D-style controls they'll have a great success. But I wouldn't bet on it...
I'm holding out for the telepathic control. That will get around the "Do what I mean, not what I say." problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:53 AM   #13

Hey TCav looks like you and I were right.

I fired off an email to a VP dealing with the Alpha system and got a reply back. Here are a couple of quotes from the message.
Quote:
Please note that the models exhibited at PMA 2007 were not final products but rather design mock-ups. As a result, they do not necessarily reflect the final design of these products.
And another ray of hope.
Quote:
We appreciate the concern that you and many others have expressed for the heritage that the á (alpha) DSLR system has inherited. Much of this tradition (including dual control knobs) can be seen in our current á100 model. Although the specific details of future products are still being developed, please be assured that the ideals of performance, flexibility and control are always a high priority for us.
So now I'm a little more optimistic. And was really surprised that I got a response back.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:35 PM   #14

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:

I fired off an email to a VP dealing with the Alpha system and got a reply back. Here are a couple of quotes from the message.
Quote:
Please note that the models exhibited at PMA 2007 were not final products but rather design mock-ups. As a result, they do not necessarily reflect the final design of these products.
And another ray of hope.
Quote:
We appreciate the concern that you and many others have expressed for the heritage that the á (alpha) DSLR system has inherited. Much of this tradition (including dual control knobs) can be seen in our current á100 model. Although the specific details of future products are still being developed, please be assured that the ideals of performance, flexibility and control are always a high priority for us.
So now I'm a little more optimistic. And was really surprised that I got a response back.
I hoping they add an integreted"bluetooth" compatiblephonethereby making it the best camera-phone ever and pretty hard to lose.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:24 PM   #15

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Good work! I'm cautiously hopeful and will keep my glass off Ebay for a couple months.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:38 AM   #16

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
To me their response sounds like more of a generic disclaimer and I read it as covering all the bases and having the potential to head in any direction. Having said that, I believe they need to keep whatever it is they are working on tightly sealed for compettive reasons. I also believe that Sony intends to grab their share of the market with some strong innovations and is about to bring their "A" game to the playing field.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:17 PM   #17

They do need to bring there A game to the table. I think it will be very hard to grab 20-30% of the High-Ameture / Pro Market. They are all very committed to there system and have thousands invested in Glass and other accessories.

The other approach is to take 30% of that market over a 10-15 year period where you have such a great system that you start picking up the new pro photogs on there way out of school.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 9:32 AM   #18

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
They're missing a dial on the top though.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-c...del-242688.php

http://www.gizmodo.com/photogallery/...high_amateurs/

DPR says A10 will come this year before the A1
Thanks for the links. I've been waiting to hear some news about something (anything!) new coming out from Sony in the DSLR line.

Edit to update here ==> Too funny, at first glance I didn't realize that a dial was missing - thought there was only 1 on the 5D - duh! Shows you how often I use the white balance dial (only to set custom for mini-studio shots). Guess they can move WB to the menu choices, eh?

This will be interesting to keep an eye on - I'm ready to step up from my 5D!

glad2badad is offline   Reply With Quote