Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:57 PM   #1

Imade a desperate attempt to buy a 7D and wasn't really happy with what I found on EBAY.

I found a NYC camera store that showed an availability of refurb 7D's. The cost? $522.00

I figured it was left over and not a possibility to get one. I called this morning and my camera is supposed to be here in a few days!!!!!!!!!

I added a mack warranty.... hopefully I will not need it!

billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:27 PM   #2
Administrator

billinaz wrote:
Quote:
I found a NYC camera store that showed an availability of refurb 7D's. The cost? $522.00
Yep... I see that price listed at some of the better known dealers around (the question is what they're better known for). :-)

Make sure to check your credit card statement for unauthorized charges. Personally, I'd just cancel my card after giving them the number from it when I got through disputing the charges with my credit card company.

Let me guess... $599 for the 3 Year Mack warranty, right (like the one B&H sells for $149.95 for pro digital camera bodies valued at up to $5,000)?

How about spare batteries and memory cards? High Speed cards and "better" batteries for only what?

Did you check them out via http://www.resellerratings.com first? One of these guys?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without Being Robbed

Look, you might get a working camera (although I'd be suspect that it's a KM factory reconditoned one). But, if you look at what you're paying for the camera, accessories, extended warranty, shipping, insurance, etc.,; you're probably paying twice as much as you should be by doing business with the Brooklyn based scammers (which is my guess since I see that price listed on some their web sites).

It's the oldest trick in the book... low advertised prices for the body with outrageously high prices for the other stuff (and most buyers don't see past the low camera body price). If you try to buy just the camera... Good luck. The Brooklyn based scammers are pros at separating customers from their money. Hopefully, I'm wrong and you didn't fall for the same old tricks from a Brooklyn based dealer (for some reason, they can get away with it there, as this tends to be the ripoff capital of the United States for online digital camera dealers that try to rob you blind).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:32 PM   #3

Let me guess... $599 for the 3 Year Mack warranty, right (like the one B&H sells for $149.95 for pro digital camera bodies valued at up to $5,000)?

No, 190. I have had Mack warrantees before. Knowing that my 7D died before the year warranty ran out (made it by like a week) I thoguht it was prudent to have a warranty.

How about spare batteries and memory cards? High Speed cards and "better" batteries for only what? :-)

Yes, he asked. I declined. I did not need any of that since I have everything for my 7D body already.

I already know Im getting a refurb, so thats not an issue. I was told that everything included in an original box was also going to be included in this refurb box.

We will see in a few days, I will post photos of what happened.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:34 PM   #4
Administrator

Good Luck with it. But, if it was a Brooklyn Based Dealer, I'd make darn sure to check your credit card statement for unauthorized charges, even if the camera is OK.

Hopefully, it will be as advertised.

Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:39 AM   #5

NY PPPFFFFFFFT:roll:
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:26 PM   #6

Maybe its a blessing in disguise.

Broadway Photo canceled the order... apparently they dont have them.. and cannot get them.

Different from the conversation yesterday where they would ship today and Id have it in 3 days.

Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:31 PM   #7
Administrator

billinaz wrote:
Quote:
Broadway Photo canceled the order... apparently they dont have them.. and cannot get them.

Different from the conversation yesterday where they would ship today and Id have it in 3 days.
That's standard practice with many Brooklyn Based dealers. You can't buy just the camera for the advertised price without a catch. If you don't buy the high priced extras, your order suddenly goes to backorder status, or if you're lucky, gets cancelled (but, make sure any charges get credited back). They seem to be able to get away with it in Brooklyn. Read this article, then compare the tactics used to their customer reviews:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without Being Robbed

If you spend enough money for a package (or high priced shipping and insurance), they'd probably find one for you. But, remember, the listing says "Refurbished", not Konica Minolta Factory Refurbished or Konica Minolta Factory Reconditoned. ;-)

For example, browse through the bargain priced recommended accessories on this page. $599.99 for a 3 year extended warranty, or $189 for a "128 MB PRO ultra high speed error free compact flash memory card". LOL Those error free pro cards get expensive. :-)

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp...grb&l=more

P.S.

I see five Maxxum 7Ds on Ebay right now. I'd make sure you buy from a reputable seller (do your homework) if you go that route.