Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1

Do any of you have recent experiences with Precision's turnaround time for repairs? My 7D has been in the shop for 3 weeks already, waiting for parts. With spring arriving, it's been gruesome watching the dust collect on my lenses while I miss all these great photos.

Any reason for hope, or have all your experiences been similarly frustrating?
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:19 PM   #2

I see some being repaired and some being scrapped and refund checks issued. The first shot black seems to be the one where Precision is claiming no parts. One of their senior management guys was at PMA and said they have plenty of parts, but at the same time they are telling consumers that there are no parts, and Sony is back to offering your choice of a broken camera back, an A-100 or your purchase price refunded.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3

I sent my 7D in (the autofocus quit working). After a few days the status changed to waiting for parts they had to order.

About 3 weeks later the status changed, and I got the call that they could not repair the camera because they could not get the parts.

The statuschanged to :

[align=center]Payment Due. Please Call (800) 665-6515.[/align]
I thought it was wierd because the camera was under warranty.

I just bought another 7D off EBAY.... I really hope it does not break!

billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:12 AM   #4

billinaz wrote:
Quote:

[align=center]Payment Due. Please Call (800) 665-6515.[/align]
I thought it was wierd because the camera was under warranty.

I just bought another 7D off EBAY.... I really hope it does not break!
You're kidding me? They indicated they'd charge you? After 3 weeks? In warranty? What was the result of your phone call to them?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:06 PM   #5

I shipped my Alpha off to Precision on February 28th for problems with multi-colored RAW files. It's been in WAITING FOR PARTS - PARTS ORDERED status since March 5th. You'd think they'd have a steady stream of parts for Alpha's on hand, but I guess not. Either that or they're really back-logged with people getting repairs done before the weather turns warmer.
jmitch2547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:51 PM   #6

I called and asked what the payment due was about since it was still (just barely) under warranty.

They said they could not get the part (the autofocus charge) and to call Sony.

Sony gave me the now familiar 3 options.

Hopefully the check will arrive soon.
billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7

Quick update. After 3 weeks, the status changed to 'In Repair'. The camera arrived back in my hands a bit over 4 weeks after it left. It will be a while to determine if the intermittent problem has been fixed, but it's good to have my 7D back.

Thanks to all those who posted replies.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:32 AM   #8
Administrator

This saga seems to repeat itself periodically. IOW, they'll say they can't get any more parts and offer refunds. Then, they'll get parts in and start repairing them again. I get the feeling that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing as far as parts supply goes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:32 AM   #9

A friend of mine was told by a reputable ex-minolta employee, whose name is known to many, that Minolt ahipped 3 semi trailers full of 5D/7D parts to Sony. For months Sony/Precision claimed there were none, and suddenly found them. Minolta now says all FSB will be covered at no charge whether in or out of warranty, and the no partscry is heard once again. Some clain Sony told them parts were being made again. Since the parts/no parts is cyclical, this may be true. One thing for sure, Sioony is offering 1. send back un repaired, 2. swap for new or reconditioned A-100, or 3. refund.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:37 AM   #10
Administrator

I've got a sneaky feeling that some clerk in a warehouse put in some of the newer replacement part numbers in an inventory system somewhere, and nobody knows what to look for as far as some of these parts replacements are concerned. lol Maybe they'll figure out all out eventually.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote