Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:42 PM   #1

What flash apart from the 3600HS and 5600HS can I use that will be compatible with the ADI? I'm looking for something cheaper than these two models. I very rarely use flash and don't want to spend a lot on something that's going to spend most of it's time in a box!

:|
Ray Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Sunpak claims that this one is compatible (a rarity in third party dedicated flashes).* Scroll down on this page and you'll find the 5D listed in the chart with features available:

http://www.sunpak.jp/e/products/pz40...#Compatibility

I don't know anyone that's used one on a 5D yet though.

Sunpak PZ40x at B&H

B&H has a couple of Sony demo condition strobes for sale now that may be worth a look, too (since the newer Sony HVL-36AM and HVL-56AM will also work on a 5D or 7D).* Those would give you High Speed Sync (which you wouldn't get with the Sunpak PZ40x unless I missed it somewhere).

Personally, I decided not to spend the money on a dedicated strobe.* I spent a total of $48 for a flash system to use with my Maxxum 5D (and that included two strobes).

* $16 for a third party adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe and a PC Sync Port.* This is the same adapter:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=275

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7.00 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16).* GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Total Flash System Investment: $48 (including the third party adapter).

I had a couple of old Vivitars. But, their trigger voltage was pretty high. It was cheaper for me to go with used Sunpaks versus buying a Wein Safe Sync to use with them.** It's a good idea to keep the trigger voltage at around 6 volts if possible (a flash with a much higher trigger voltage might damage the camera without something like a Wein Safe Sync to protect it).

If you want a dedicated flash that's aware of your cameras settings with neat features like HSS (High Speed Sync), then you can get a Sony or KM flash to use. But, I like my $48 solution for the conditions I use a flash in more often (and it's a lot less money).

With a non-dedicated solution like the one I use, you'd need to use manual exposure, setting the ISO speed and aperture on the camera to match the flash range selected.** But, it's not a real big deal to me to use one that way.

Metz also has some good dedicated solutions available.* The Metz 54MZ4 is a popular choice (you'd need the SCA3302M5 or later foot to go with one).* But, that's not a cheaper solution.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Jim. It certainly looks like it will be worth investigating the Sunpak PZ40x that you suggested. I've posted the same question on the Minolta SLR forum page.

Ray
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:51 PM   #4
Administrator

I just merged the two threads into this one thread. That way, all the answers will be in one spot.

Chances are, you'd get more feedback in the KM DSLR forum anyway.

Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:58 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

I just noticed that most of the text I used in my first reply in this thread was not readable (I copied and pasted it and the text color matched the background). I just fixed it.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:32 PM   #6
Administrator

I found one user review of the Sunpak PZ40x at dyxum.com:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/flash/r...sp?IDFlash=187

You'll find more on other compatible strobes here:

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp

Personally, I'd avoid the Sigmas in the list. I've seen more than one user end up returning theirs. YMMV as some users seem to have gotten them to work OK with enough Exposure Compensation, depending on whether they're bouncing them or not with the newer versions.

Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:11 PM   #7

Thanks again Jim. The now visible text is very interesting. You've given me plenty to look at and think about. I didn't realise there would be so much choice.

Ray

Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:51 PM   #8
Administrator

I keep my "Board Theme" set to Default, which gives me much different colors than most users see using the "Shades" board theme that we set new members to (that matches the color scheme of the main site).

The problem is that text colors don't translate properly. So, what looks like black on white text to me using one theme, may end up as black on black (unreadable) using another theme. That's what happened when I typed the first reply (using copy and pasted text from an older post about my flash system). lol

I've got to be more careful cutting and pasting when using different themes.

To get an idea of the differences, click on the "My Account" button at the top of the posts, then select the "Preferences" Tab and change the "Board Theme" to "Default". To switch it back to the way it was, change the Board Theme to "Shades".

A word of caution.... it's a good idea to never change the font or color you're typing in from the defaults, no matter what theme you use. Sometimes, the text doesn't translate very well between different themes. It's a quirk that we haven't worked out yet. lol