Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:10 PM   #1

I'm currently using a Kensington Elite Pro 50x card. I need to get at least one more card and was trying to decide if at twice the cost, is it worth it to get the SanDisk Extreme III card.

Any one here used both to be able to comment on the performance of the two?
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:25 PM   #2

Check out this link.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

I think it's the best source of empirical perfmormance on CF & SD cards on the web.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:13 PM   #3

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp

Camera specific, not that the other link isn't usefull.....
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:23 AM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Check out this link.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

I think it's the best source of empirical perfmormance on CF & SD cards on the web.
Am I missing something here? I can't find anything but Nikon and Canon.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5

cope wrote:
Quote:
Am I missing something here? I can't find anything but Nikon and Canon.
No. The tests on this site are only done on Canon and Nikon cameras, but cards that do well in those cameras are likely to also do well in other cameras.

Edit: And, conversely, cards that do poorly in those cameras are likely to also do poorly in other cameras.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Not always. You can have compatibility quirks with some cards in some cameras. So, it's a good idea to make sure a given card will work OK in the camera you plan on using it in.

For example, look at the performance (or lack thereof), you'd get out of some of the Kingston Elite Pro cards in your 5D (you'll find them near the bottom of the list sorted by speed):

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:19 PM   #7

I understand that speed is a key concern for many when selecting their CF card, but I'll just note that I put the Kingston 45X 8GB in my 7D yesterday. I'm delighted with how many photos can be stored on one card. With prices falling recently, 8GB cards can be had for as little as $50 now.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:57 AM   #8

Okay I've answered my own question. Got my SanDisk Extreme III 2G card yesterday. Poped it in my 7D and decided to take a test drive.

Here's my results.

First here's what I did. Shoot in continuous mode till the buffer filled and then start a timer and wait for the light to turn off.

Kingston Elite 2G: Took 9 shots to fill the buffer, took about 1min 30 sec to clear the buffer.

SanDisk Extreme III 2G:Took 10 shtots to fill the buffer, and the buffer cleared in 10 seconds!

I'll be getting another Extreme III, might even try out a Lexar if I can borrow one.

To be fair, I was comparing a x50 to and x133 card but both should have been faster than the camera could write. Maybe not. :-)

Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:48 AM   #9

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Okay I've answered my own question. Got my SanDisk Extreme III 2G card yesterday. Poped it in my 7D and decided to take a test drive.

Here's my results.

First here's what I did. Shoot in continuous mode till the buffer filled and then start a timer and wait for the light to turn off.

Kingston Elite 2G: Took 9 shots to fill the buffer, took about 1min 30 sec to clear the buffer.

SanDisk Extreme III 2G:Took 10 shtots to fill the buffer, and the buffer cleared in 10 seconds!

I'll be getting another Extreme III, might even try out a Lexar if I can borrow one.

To be fair, I was comparing a x50 to and x133 card but both should have been faster than the camera could write. Maybe not. :-)
Ken, I have Lexar Professional 2GB 80X and 133X cards. We can get together one day for lunch and you can experiment while I eat.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:22 PM   #10

Cool sounds good