Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:13 PM   #1
Administrator

Someone is now offering a hotshoe adapter with voltage protection built in (allow you to use third party hotshoe or PC Sync Port attached strobes with a KM or Sony DSLR, even if the trigger voltages are higher (up to 400v), according to the manufacturer.

It appears to be the same adapter housing as this popular adapter made in Hong Kong (which has no voltage protection circuitry built in)

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

Here is the new adapter with voltage protection built into it (Porter's is now listing it):

Hotshoe Adapter with Voltage Protection at porters.com

It's also being sold by the distributor. For more information, see this page:

http://www.safe-sync.com/Sony_Alpha_A100_safe_sync.htm

Note that I have no experience with this adapter (new one with voltage protection) and I have not noticed anyone report using one yet.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2

I'm waiting on an email from the manufacturer to see if the adapter has any circuitry to talk to the camera.

The newer Minolta/Sony flashes use a serial protocol to talk to each other. This includes the firing of the flash. The newer maxxums might provide a short of pins 1 & 2 to trigger older minolta flashes, but Sony really had no reason to do this since they are only making flashes that talk using the serial protocol.

It sounds like they are buying the housing from gadget infinity and then adding the safe sync circuity to it so it may have the logic circuit since the gadget infinity adapters seem to.

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Administrator

The adapter doesn't even have any pins on the ISO standard side of it other than the center pin and outside ground for triggering a flash.

So I don't see how it could pass communications to and from the camera. Even if it did, the older dedicated flash models are not going to intrepret it properly anyway.

Many newer Maxxum flash models using the new proprietary foot won't work properly, much less an older flash using the original ISO type foot with extra pins for communication.

If you have a need to trigger a non-dedicated flash and need something to help protect your camera from higher trigger voltages, this may be an adapter to consider. For anything else, I'd find another solution.

Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:14 PM   #4

Is this of interest to anybody here? Low cost dedicated flash for Minolta digital cameras: Opteka FL50AF-M. You can find them on e-Bay. The Opteka site dodn't list it.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:56 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The adapter doesn't even have any pins on the ISO standard side of it other than the center pin and outside ground for triggering a flash.

So I don't see how it could pass communications to and from the camera. Even if it did, the older dedicated flash models are not going to intrepret it properly anyway.

Many newer Maxxum flash models using the new proprietary foot won't work properly, much less an older flash using the original ISO type foot with extra pins for communication.

If you have a need to trigger a non-dedicated flash and need something to help protect your camera from higher trigger voltages, this may be an adapter to consider. For anything else, I'd find another solution.
Sorry Jim

Could have worded it better. Not communications for the flash but for the shoe to read the camera's fire command to then short the circuit that the hot shoe is connected to.

Not this is based on my understanding of how the 36 & 5600 flashes work. Maybe if no one answers, the camera then shorts the two pins that would go to the center and ground.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:06 PM   #6
Administrator

The center pin and outside shield are used to fire the flash.

Newer model strobes have extra pins that are used on the proprietary foot for communications. But, even if you have a flash that has the same proprietary foot, the flash may not be able to interpret the communications.

With the older Maxxum models (for example the original Maxxum 7000), you had an ISO standard shoe/foot design. But, these still used extra pins for communications, and even if you figured out a way to route the communication from the newer shoe to the older hotshoe design, and even if the flash understood the camera, this adapter does not have those extra pins on the ISO side of it that were present on the original ISO type shoe/foot used by very early Maxxum models.

This type of adapter is only going to be useful for triggering a flash (via hotshoe or PC Sync Port), and providing voltage protection if your strobe may pose a danger to the camera.

Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:02 PM   #7

I'm sure may of you still have your old Maxxum flash units. I have a 2800AF, twp 400AF and a 1200AF, all in perfect condition, just laying idle.

If only there was a shoe adapter available that had a sensor and associated circuitry built in that allowed the flash to be used in stand alone auto mode similar to the Sunpak thyristor units .... If the adapter also contained an optical slave trigger - even better.

I wonder if the designer of the shoe adapter under discussion has considered this idea? When you look at the cost of digital flash units and the number of inexpensive Maxxum flash units on the used market you have to wonder if there is a potential sales opportunity here.

Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Most of the dedicated flash units don't have a built in sensor. Instead, they're reliant on communication with the camera to control the flash output.

Since non-deidicated Auto Thryistor type flashes are dirt cheap on the used market, I really don't see anyone attempting to address trying to develop a complex system to communicate with a flash via an adapter.

Now, I have seen some posts mentioning a circuit for older Maxxum flash models that use the newer proprietary foot to get them working on Digital. See this page for details:

http://www.voitzsch.net/flashconv_en.shtml

I guess it's possible that the same circuit would work on the original maxxum strobes, too (if you had an adapter to route the pins to where they need to go). But, I don't know enough about the differences to say. My guess is that it would make a poor solution for most older strobes, due to the needed ability to fire pre-flashes to help judge exposure (the capacitor/electronics design in the older models may not be up to it).

Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:11 PM   #9

Maybe Sony has a solution:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=129116#129116
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:49 PM   #10

This unit does apply the "safe sync idea" to the Sony A100. It has a PC terminal but no hot shoe. It runs on batteries, and costs about $250.00 USD retail. Supposed to be available later this year.

There cheaper solutions with more advantages.
createch is offline   Reply With Quote