Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:46 PM   #11

Sorry, Cope for messing up your name. I am curious how it works out for you. Please post some side-by-side comparisons when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:43 PM   #12

I just can't Cope with this news
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:07 PM   #13
Administrator

Well, I'll try to cope with it. lol

I can understand liking the D200. It's a good body with a nice autofocus system.

The CAM-1000 AF assembly in the D200 isn't quite as nice as the CAM-2000 used in sports specific models like the D2H and D2Hs, or the higher end D2X, DS2Xs and F6 bodies. But, it's pretty good, and the D200 body is going to have a pretty good focus motor to work with the Tamron 28-75mm I've seen mentioned. Even better, the Sigma 70-200mm I've seen mentioned in another thread here will have HSM to help out.

But, bodies come and go and manufacturers tend to "leapfrog" each other from time to time. That's all good for the consumer.

Cope, you do know that we're going to tease you about not waiting when the new Sonys finally make it to market, right? ;-)

Sony does have a history of releasing cameras with new sensors ahead of the competition that they sell the sensors to from time to time with non-DSLR models. Now that they're also in the DSLR market, only time will tell what they'll do.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:18 PM   #14

With friends like Meanstreak and Jim, I don't need to cope with enemies. :-)

This is one of the comments on the D200 that made me realize that if I was switching, I had maed a good choice.

[size=This praise from a Canon shooter.][/size]

[size=][/size]

I am a canon shooter and did a swap with one of my close friends. He gave me his D200 and grip with an 18-200mm Nikon VR lens and SB-800 flash and I gave him my 5D with a 24-105L and 580EX for a couple of weeks.

Coming from Canon, I had no problems getting used to the D200. The image review and settings forced me to quickly learn to use the menu driven system which both camera's have. However, since I was used to the canon system, it took me a while to remember where each feature was.

The exposures were good (95% of the time) and the flash metering was just about perfect. The colors are good and the lens itself was quite acceptable. Matrix metering is hard to beat and I hate the fact that canon E-TTL II is not as quick and easy to use. This is where I think Nikon shines. However, E-TTL II does have it's benefits.

I liked the fact that the Nikon had a built in pop up flash. The 5D has to use the Speedlite if you need even fill in flash and this can get a bit bulky - especially if you are using the camera for snapshots. Agreed the flash does not have the same output as the shoe mount flash, but it is there if you need it.

The 1.5x crop FOV sensor was a bit difficult to get used to - especially when shooting wide angle. At 17mm on my 5D, I get a lot of image I want in the picture as you are shooting full frame. At 18mm on the Nikon, it took some time to stop thinking you were shooting at 18mm and it was not as wide as 18mm on FF.

The viewfinder was quite bright - on par with the 5D or 1Ds viewfinder but smaller.

The controls were well laid out and the camera by itself without the grip was a pleasure to use. When I used it with the grip, it felt a bit awkward and not so ergonomic. The 5D with grip was slightly better, but still not the best feel/fit as say a 1-series grip.

I did not have the opportunity to figure out how to shoot the SB-800 remotely but I believe the D200 has that capability. With the canon, I have to use two flash units or the ST-E2 transmitter.

Battery life on the Nikon seemed on par with that of the 5D - with the D200 giving me few more shots than the 5D. The battery level meter on the Nikons is much better than the crappy indicator on the canon. Both camera's had slightly shorter battery life when I used the battery on the grip.

The high ISO noise levels at ISO 1600 were quite usable on prints up to 13x19". In all, after two weeks of using the D200, if canon made a similar SLR, I would definitely buy it over the 5D.

I do like Zeiss glass and the fact the Nikon's have Zeiss primes makes them very attractive. If Sony can deliver it's next generation D-SLR and make it less noisy at high ISO, I would gladly jump into the Sony system as those Zeiss lenses for the Sony mount are excellent and hard to beat.

[size=][/size]
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:41 PM   #15
Administrator

Yes.. the D200 has a pretty good rep for metering (unlike the D80 which has a pretty bad rep for metering, despite the similiarities between these models).

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very thrilled with the metering accuracy/consistency with the metering system in the KM DSLR bodies. But, hey, nothing's perfect. lol

I suspect we'll see some pretty decent improvements as newer bodies are released later.

Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:55 PM   #16

Well, Cope, I am sure you will be happy with such a great camera as the D200. However, even the review that you quoted was looking forward to the new Sony releases in his last sentence.

And JimC certainly is right that Sony might maintain a certain edge in its sensors for its own brand now that Sony is in the DSLR market before selling them to its customers/competitors such as Nikon. Nikon is not manufacturing any of its own CCD's. They are all Sony made.

Definitely curious about your experiences. I looked at the comparison shots between the D200 and the Sony Alpha 100A at imaging-resource.com last night and the differences are only marginal, not dramatic,with the Sony actually being sharper (which of course could be a matter of the lens more so than the camera) but having more noise at the highest ISO settings.

So, as far as image quality is concerned I am not sold on the D200 being so much superior. Now as far as handling is concerned, speed of auto-focus, action tracking, Auto Exposure accuracy etc. I can not comment since I have not played with it. A friend of mine has a D70, which maybe I can get my hands on this weekend. But I am sure the D200 is a big step up from that one.

Anyway, we'll cope without you, but hope to see you around.

:-)

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:45 AM   #17
Administrator

Actually, Nikon has some experience with sensors. For example, the D2H and D2Hs use a Nikon designed sensor sporting JFET LBCAST technology (gotta love the acronyms). lol

I don't think Sony wants to risk alienating their big sensor customers. In addition, Nikon worked with Sony in the design of some of the sensors used in Nikon DSLR models. For example, some of the Sony sensors used by Nikon DSLR models use a 4 channel vs. 2 Channel pipeline for readout, and some have a unique mechanica/electronic shutter features implemented (which is why some of the lower end Nikon models with a 6MP sensor have a faster flash sync speed).

But, Sony has been know to release their products ahead of the competition from time to time when a new sensor is introduced. Only time will tell how this will "play out" now that Sony is in the DSLR business, too.

Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:10 AM   #18

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Well, Cope, I am sure you will be happy with such a great camera as the D200. However, even the review that you quoted was looking forward to the new Sony releases in his last sentence.

And JimC certainly is right that Sony might maintain a certain edge in its sensors for its own brand now that Sony is in the DSLR market before selling them to its customers/competitors such as Nikon. Nikon is not manufacturing any of its own CCD's. They are all Sony made.

Definitely curious about your experiences. I looked at the comparison shots between the D200 and the Sony Alpha 100A at imaging-resource.com last night and the differences are only marginal, not dramatic,with the Sony actually being sharper (which of course could be a matter of the lens more so than the camera) but having more noise at the highest ISO settings.

So, as far as image quality is concerned I am not sold on the D200 being so much superior. Now as far as handling is concerned, speed of auto-focus, action tracking, Auto Exposure accuracy etc. I can not comment since I have not played with it. A friend of mine has a D70, which maybe I can get my hands on this weekend. But I am sure the D200 is a big step up from that one.

Anyway, we'll cope without you, but hope to see you around.

:-)

You can say that again!!!!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:15 AM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Yes.. the D200 has a pretty good rep for metering (unlike the D80 which has a pretty bad rep for metering, despite the similiarities between these models).

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very thrilled with the metering accuracy/consistency with the metering system in the KM DSLR bodies. But, hey, nothing's perfect. lol

I suspect we'll see some pretty decent improvements as newer bodies are released later.
I recently experianced what I think was inconsistent metering. I took indoor shots at a dance competition and sometimes my shots ended up with blown highlights despite what seemed like little changes in light. I tired different mettering modes and even compensating but always ended up with a mixed bag. By compensatings then some of my shots that would have been normal, came out to dark.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:17 AM   #20

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Cope, you do know that we're going to tease you about not waiting when the new Sonys finally make it to market, right? ;-)

Sony does have a history of releasing cameras with new sensors ahead of the competition that they sell the sensors to from time to time with non-DSLR models. Now that they're also in the DSLR market, only time will tell what they'll do.

He can always come back to the "bright side". "Copefully" he will see the light. LOL